PDA

View Full Version : 1500-1700 stall. Is that good or not?

tbirdboy
07-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I have my mind made up (sort of) and will be moving up to a Art Carr. I will probably go through SCP for my purchase as they take care of us members.

As for selecting a stall speed I'm kinda lost. Going through the site and checking threads I see that we have a 12" converter as stock but as you reduce the diameter of the TC(10 or 9.5) the stall speed seems to go up. I'm assuming thats good if you have lots of horses (350+) but bad if you don't.
I don't have any mods on my 92 but maybe in the future.....

Anyway I guess my question relates to what works with my driving style and how I want my car to run. When I hit the gas I want instant takeoff. No slack or engine revving before hooking up. No dragging or 1/4's though. I am a 85-to-100 mph in the dead of night type. I figure that a 1500-1700 stall is my number. Would a non-lock up work for me as I do love to slingshot around slower freeway traffic? Please chime in with any critique please. Thanks.

Shockwave
07-15-2004, 11:18 PM
When I hit the gas I want instant takeoff. No slack or engine revving before hooking up. No dragging or 1/4's though. I am a 85-to-100 mph in the dead of night type. I figure that a 1500-1700 stall is my number. Would a non-lock up work for me as I do love to slingshot around slower freeway traffic? Please chime in with any critique please. Thanks.

if you want instant takeoff keep the stock convertor. Our cars make a lot of torque down low and don't benefit from higher stall like 5.0 adn 4.6 mustangs that make peak torque at 3000 or higher. A loose convertor gives you a lag in acceleration unless you jump the on the gas enough to really input some torque. I like my stock convertor in my 89 and would not go with a higher stall. I installed a 10" convertor in my Nephew's stock 90 SC, and I don't personally like it at all. I would say it stalls at about 2500 rpm. If you barely take off with light throttle the tach will jump to 1700rpm if you then try and add more gas the rpm jump upto say 2200 rpms, but you don't seem to accelerate because you are still in the slip of the convertor. Only when the rpms are at 2500 rpm or higher does the car feel good. The problem is that on a stock cam SC you are topped out at 4500 rpm so it gives you a really same power range.

Jerry

tbirdboy
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
OK got it. Now, my other question is can I get my 12" converter in a non-lock up design or does it even work that way? I must want my cake and eat it too!

Also is Art Carr the only game in town? I have seen trannys on Ebay for about 1k with all the goodies or so it seems.

Shockwave
07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Well I wouldn't recommend eBay for a transmission. Art Carr isn't the only game in town either. A lot of people recommend Lentech, but they aren't the cheapest around. Sometimes you get what you pay for. If you think about it, there are a lot of negative posts about AODs and to get a good reputation like Art Carr and Lentech have you must be doing something right.

You can keep the stock stall and get a non-lockup. To go non-lockup on the convertor you have to have the trans setup for non-lockup on a AOD to match. You will probably see about a 10% or so loss in MPG do to the slipping of the convertor in 3rd and 4th gears. Going non-lockup can get you a stronger transmission. You might want to check out the Art Carr Extreme AOD fro $1850 at Super Coupe Performance (http://supercoupeperformance.com) they are giving a free non-lockup converter with it. Just stick to your guns on the stall speed. If you want to go non-lockup this is the one I would recommend.

Jerry

92bird
07-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Ditto on the low stall speed conveter.. When I did the dyno run on my 5 speed SC, I starte the pull at 1,400 rpm to see how much down low torque it had.. I put down over 315 rear wheel tq at about 1,600 rpm.. It would be a shame to waste that with a loose converter!

Peak numbers on that run were 330.5 rwhp and 402.8 rwtq!

fivaxis
07-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Non lockup will do nothing but lose acceleration with a low RPM torquey motor. I gained 5mph in the 1/4 mile in my old Typhoon by locking the converter.

fivaxis
07-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Also a Typhoon engine makes monstrous low end torque and rev limits at 4800, I had a 3000 stall converter that wouldn't drop below 4000 rpm except for the launch and when you locked it. I went to a lower rpm stall and ran slower so I went back to the 3000. Now a higher stall won't be better for daily driving because you have to give it more gas to go, but it's better for drag racing. BTW I ran 13.3 @100mph in my Typhoon - gotta love AWD.

tbirdboy
07-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Those Typhoons where something else in the quarter. Couldn't be beat then and now really.

So if the stock converter is on target then I guess Its just really about getting the best tranny your money can buy right?