Steering wheel not lined right

derekhay316

Got wheel alignment done about 2 weeks ago and everything was just fine. I was drivin the car today... Goin around corners pretty hard with my new z-rated tires and i noticed that my steering wheel is now tilted about 30 degrees to the left. Any idea what this could be from? From the wheel alignment or is it something else?

Take it back to alignment shop.

The shop that aligned the car didn't center the steering wheel properly. It's a simple adjustment, but if the wheel is centered now the alignment will have to be rechecked. Good luck, John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
The shop that aligned the car didn't center the steering wheel properly. It's a simple adjustment, but if the wheel is centered now the alignment will have to be rechecked. Good luck, John

They did center it properly. This is a problem that came up just yesterday.

Something could be bent or loose. Probably loose, unless you left out the part of your story where you slid into a curb at 58mph with your new z-rated tires. :D I'd go back to the alignment shop and ask them to double check their work. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it's pretty suspicious that you were in the shop 2 weeks ago and now something is loose.

OK, it wasn't clear to me that it was once straight and then it just developed. I agree with Rob, sounds like they left the tie rod jam nuts loose on one or both sides. That's usually how the wheel is centered, by lengthening the tie rod on one side and shortening it the equal amount on the other side. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
OK, it wasn't clear to me that it was once straight and then it just developed. I agree with Rob, sounds like they left the tie rod jam nuts loose on one or both sides. That's usually how the wheel is centered, by lengthening the tie rod on one side and shortening it the equal amount on the other side. John

K great. I'll take it into the shop tomorrow. Drove it today and it road fine. No pull or anything, the steering wheels just tilted thats all.

Back