High Performance help needed?

randymbtech

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1990 SC. It's all stock, and so far I love it. Anyway, I want to put some more power in this thing. I have been searching this site for a couple of days now, and still have some questions. I want to spend about $1000 to $1500 on it. What is the best way to go?

I am thinking about doing the exhaust and the 5% pulley. Do I need to have a computer chip when you up the boost with the pulley? Also, what's the best way to go with the exhaust? I was thinking about custom bent 2 1/4" down pipes with high flow cats, Magnaflow resonator, and mufflers. What mufflers sound good on these cars? Does the Flowmaster system sound ok on a 6cyl, or is it "ricey"?

Will a cold air kit and a bigger mass air meter help on a stock motor, or is it a waste of money?

Sorry about all the questions guys, this is my first SC, and I have a lot to learn. Thanks for any help or advice, I greatly appreciate it.

mods

x-haust is first.2 1/4 downs,Magnaflow res,2 1/2 center to 2 1/4 tails w/ Dynomax Super Turbos is what I have and it's great.Good tone,not to loud.5% is good.Do a 180 thermo w/ a cool fan switch (I think MN12 Performance has the switch)Really cools down temp which helps head gaskets.MAF 75mm or larger w/ a cold air kit of some kind really helps too.That ought about spend your $1000.Oh, if it's an auto get some 373 gears,if 5 spd get 327's.There goes your $1,500.You will love your new found get up and go!

I've got a 5% pulley and a 75mm ProM Chrome Mafs programmed for 30# stock injectors....email me:zdance1@hotmail.com or PM me here if interested.
z

j rick kirby said:
x-haust is first.2 1/4 downs,Magnaflow res,2 1/2 center to 2 1/4 tails w/ Dynomax Super Turbos is what I have and it's great.Good tone,not to loud.5% is good.Do a 180 thermo w/ a cool fan switch (I think MN12 Performance has the switch)Really cools down temp which helps head gaskets.MAF 75mm or larger w/ a cold air kit of some kind really helps too.That ought about spend your $1000.Oh, if it's an auto get some 373 gears,if 5 spd get 327's.There goes your $1,500.You will love your new found get up and go!

Are you saying this with labor included or just parts?

Excuse the ignorance, but a search for 327 gears on Ebay prices them at less than $50 (unless there is more to it than the gear itself), so I am assuming you mean labor makes up the rest of the $500?

rear end stuff

You will need the R&P,an install kit and you should also rebuild the limited slip clutch pack w/ the Motorsport heavy duty kit.$500 should cover labor,install kit and clutch pack.Still need the R&P and don't forget the Redline synthetic lube and friction modifier.To check the condition of your limited slip lay down some rubber.If you have two marks the same length your limited slip is ok for now but if it's origional I would replace it while it's apart,it's only about $50-$60 I think.Summitt Racing is probably the best place to get all the stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from supercoupe.com. I got the 5% pulley and removal tool, a cold air induction kit, 180 stat, adjustable fan controller, two 2 1/4" high flow cats, Magnaflow resonator, and 2 dynomax super turbo mufflers. It came to about $720. Ouch, lol.

How do you guys think it will run? I hope it is noticably quicker. The next step (after I recover from the hit to the bank account) is 373 gears.

sounds good so far , the 5% pully will put more load on the damper wich is probably old get a bhj balancer before it breaks , also colder spark plugs and porting the exhaust side of the heads picked mine up a lot

Back