power steering pulley removal problem

cato

trying to get the power steering pulley off this afternoon. got a remover, and after I started pulling it, it has sheared off most of the flange on the pulley. any one have any ideas on some other way to get this off?? theres just a very tiny lip left on it and I can't get the puller to get a grip.

common problem, just bust the old one off, you need to replace it now anyway .... BFH Big F'n Hammer .... or an air chisel ....

got the tool, thats what caused the flange to bust off, right now I"ve progressed to a 3-jaw puller, and from there if neccessary I'll move to the BFH. anyone have an extra pulley laying around, they're obsolete from ford, go figure :)

TbirdSCfan - is it supposed to be nearly impossible to pull this pulley off? I've got the AZ tool shown in your pic and holding the nut with a wrench and turning the screw with a ratchet, I still can't get the pulley off. I got the motor mount done without pulling the pulley, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong with the puller.

Thanks

its a PITA to get off, I finally got mine, at the cost of tearing the pulley to shreds.

dms825 said:
TbirdSCfan - is it supposed to be nearly impossible to pull this pulley off? I've got the AZ tool shown in your pic and holding the nut with a wrench and turning the screw with a ratchet, I still can't get the pulley off. I got the motor mount done without pulling the pulley, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong with the puller.

Thanks
Its never been hard for me and I've always used the tool I noted, but I've heard more than a few owners having problems. Might have to do with whether or not its ever been off. Only other suggestion I have is if it doesnt' budge when an good amount of torque (like 50-60 lbs) is applied to the nut, then try heating the pulley with a propane torch and get it hot (not red hot, but 200-300 degrees ought to do it), tap it a few times with a hammer, then try again with the tool.

I feel your frustration, well almost. I just went through some of that. Fortunately for me, I didn't destroy the flange, but I did break a small section of it off. Only thing I goofed on was using the wrong bolt in the pulley puller kit initially, then figured it out. I had never attempted to pull it off before and it was the first time the pulley had ever come off the p/s pump.
Eventually, I'd like to get one of those billet pulleys.

One thing to note though is that those tools often have two sides. One side is for certain types of flanges, and the other side is for the other types. Only one side fits fully around the flange and applies all the torque.

So if the flange broke I'd be wondering if you're using the wrong side of the tool or using it in way that all of the force isn't being evenly distributed across the entire flange.

I"ve take other ones off before, just never off of this car, so I don't know if its never been off or what, either way it sucked, and now I"m hunting for a new pulley because ford sucks about some stuff

Back