Replacing Crank Sensor

indiana89SC

How the hell do you replace the crank sensor in an 89? I have the cover off, but the crankshaft pulley is too close for me to get to the two bolts holding it in.

can you turn the motor so the vane is out of the way i know i gid it somehow maybe i used a wrench

indiana89SC said:
How the hell do you replace the crank sensor in an 89? I have the cover off, but the crankshaft pulley is too close for me to get to the two bolts holding it in.
remove belt then remove pully remove sensor

There are 2 ways: the XR7Dave way, and the TbirdSCFan way. My way, you go to Sears and buy a small set of metric tune-up wrenches. The bolts holding the sensor on are 5.5mm.. that's not very common. A 7/32" wrench is close enough and should work also. Then you crawl under after taking the pulley off and turn the tiny little bolts 1/100 of a turn at a time for about 5000 times.. Each time, you have to reset the wrench and you have to hold your arms up in the air while you're doing all this. I have to tell you it is quite frustrating.

Dave has you take the sensor bracket off, (not the sensor itself) and says its a lot easier. There are 3 bolts which hold the sensor bracket to the engine block. Clean it up with some simple green, get a good flashlight, and trace them down. These three are not the tiny one I mentioned, they are like 8 or 10mm or something like that. Good luck. :cool:

TbirdSCFan said:
There are 2 ways: the XR7Dave way, and the TbirdSCFan way. My way, you go to Sears and buy a small set of metric tune-up wrenches. The bolts holding the sensor on are 5.5mm.. that's not very common. A 7/32" wrench is close enough and should work also. Then you crawl under after taking the pulley off and turn the tiny little bolts 1/100 of a turn at a time for about 5000 times.. Each time, you have to reset the wrench and you have to hold your arms up in the air while you're doing all this. I have to tell you it is quite frustrating.

Dave has you take the sensor bracket off, (not the sensor itself) and says its a lot easier. There are 3 bolts which hold the sensor bracket to the engine block. Clean it up with some simple green, get a good flashlight, and trace them down. These three are not the tiny one I mentioned, they are like 8 or 10mm or something like that. Good luck. :cool:

The XR7 Dave way is in the members section. ;) It has pictures though so it might be worth the $15! lol Takes about 1 hr to do.

Then you crawl under after taking the pulley off and turn the tiny little bolts 1/100 of a turn at a time for about 5000 times.. Each time, you have to reset the wrench and you have to hold your arms up in the air while you're doing all this.

OMG LOL! :D

thats basically with everything you have to do on this car. i was tempted to have my 3 year old nephew get in some small places while working on my car, lol! :p

Yeah, I just replaced the crank sensor a week or so ago on mine. It is annoying to do.

Why are you replacing it?

You should really pull the harmonic dampener at the same time, it will make getting to the sensor easier and you can check the integrity of the dampener. I thought mine was fine until I had it off and noticed that it was close to falling apart because the outer metal ring was loose.

I could tell by how the sensor was worn down on the inside that the harmonic dampener was going out of whack.

It also cured the vibration in my drivetrain by getting a new dampener.

-Adam

Back