TB install problems

BlckOnBlckBrd

I am in the process of installing a BBK 75mm TB. I got everything ported and hooked up. The top linkage piece, I believe for the transmission, doesn't fit into the rubber grommet. What has everyone else done to solve this?

Also, the main problem, the throttle sticks open. I can't see any visible hang ups. The TB also won't open fully unless you pull it from underneath the hood. It almost feels as though the pedal doesn't depress far enough to open it fully. Is there anyway to adjust this?

TIA

Jason

Recently I installed one and the clock spring was too loose. I wound it up another turn and that fixed the hanging problem. The gromet was also non-cooperative so I got a new one from Ford or you can re-use your old one.

Thanks for the advice. I tightened up the spring and fixed the throttle hang-up problem. Got the TV cable hooked up. But now my transmission seems to shift softer, and it slips while in OD now. Could I have changed the TV cable adjustment while installing the TB? And also, are these symptoms of wrong TV adjustment??

Thanks
Jason

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
Thanks for the advice. I tightened up the spring and fixed the throttle hang-up problem. Got the TV cable hooked up. But now my transmission seems to shift softer, and it slips while in OD now. Could I have changed the TV cable adjustment while installing the TB? And also, are these symptoms of wrong TV adjustment??

Thanks
Jason

Cable adjustment should not have changed during installation but it may have. If the cable is out of adjustment your transmission will be destroyed very quickly.

BlckOnBlckBrd said:

Thanks
Jason

My BBK SC 75mm TB lever did not match the original line up on the TV cable either. :mad: You are burning the trans up with too low of TV pressure.!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

You must reset the TV cable setting immediately. There are numerous ways of doing this if you do a search on this board. Basically you want max TV pressure at wide open throttle. You are going to have to extend the black adjustment block and put more tension on the cable.

This is the way I do it. I unhook the TV cable from the throttle. Have someone hold the TV lever on the side of the transmission (next to the selector linkage) at full travel towards the front of the car. Now hold the throttle linkage at full throttle and connect the TV cable to throttle. You now have full TV pressure at wide open throttle. If the shifts are too firm or you can feel the 3-2 down shifts during coast you will have to shorten the black adjustment block.

Less black adjustment block that shows on the TV cable the lower the pressure. More black adjustment block on the TV cable equals more TV pressure.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this take it to a shop immediately.

Jerry

Jason,

Lentech's advice was to set the TV cable as tight as possible without restricting the throttle plate from opening all the way. It's not going to hurt anything to have it too tight, but like Jerry said...too loose will toast your tranny very fast (like in 1 day).

David

Well I set the TV cable tighter and now it seems to be shifting fine again. Going into OD pretty good now too. Thanks for the tips and help everyone.

Jason

PS (This was the first time I got to get on it with the new TB and whoa did it make a difference. I was at 5500rpms in a flash.)

Last edited:
Back