Special Thanks to kenewagner...

007_SuperCoupe

I want to thank Ken for taking time out of his [busy] weekends the last two weekends for assisting me in rebuilding and porting my supercharger.

We rebuilt almost the entire sc from the bottom up. That includes almost all bearings (rotor bearings we couldn't replace), seal, and coupler. Upon dissasembly we saw that the rear (needle) bearings were completely shot. It looked like they got very hot and discolored the case slightly around them. And there was significant play in the sc. Now there is none at all.

I think the port job is a pretty good one. Basically what we did was use an MP II as a template for the outlet. It is very close to that except that we rounded the angles more than MP does. The inlet received special attention. I'm not looking for anything extreme (yet) so we opened to inlet up to 4 1/4" x 1 5/8" (it's a '95 supercharger) and matched the inlet plenum accordingly. We also smoothed all the angled edges in the inlet itself to increase flow. Overall I think that the porting was relatively minor compared to some on this site. But I think that it will prove very effective. I'm optimisticly hoping for a 25-30 rwhp pickup. That is over a stock '92 supercharger.

I will have pictures in a few days.

Again, Thank you Ken for you help and letting me use your tools!

Well, no pictures yet, but I did get it installed today. WOW! What a difference. I can now do a burnout effortlessly. Seat of the pants is faster, but I don't know how much. It pulls now like it does when I take it to the track, pull out my sub box and have almost no gas in the tank. And this is with the sub box on, 1/2 a tank of gas and my son as a passenger. I did take Melon and Andy94SC for a ride tonight. It pulled like it normally does with just me in it. So with an extra 350~ lbs...That's pretty good I think.

There's only one downside to it. Something is amiss with my rotors. I'm pretty confident that it isn't the bearings as 1) we replaced them all, and 2) we took great care in making sure they were seated properly. The damage to the rotors either occurred as a result of driving it when the bearings were pretty much shot, or they were damaged during the rebuild process. I'm thinking that they were damaged prior to the rebuild as there were some pretty good scores inside the housing when we took it apart. I'm hoping that the rotors will "wear" into a functioning place rather than chucking that sc for now. I do have to say that it is definately stronger than before. Thanks again Ken, and we'll just have to see how long you can drive with slightly damaged rotors!

The pics are in...I'll post them one at a time for quick viewing...Some of the pics were of the parts before they were clean, but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• Porting.jpg
    Porting.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 170
And here's a couple of what we did with the inlet plenum.

Attachments

• Porting5.jpg
    Porting5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Porting6.jpg
    Porting6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 118
007_SuperCoupe said:
Well, no pictures yet, but I did get it installed today. WOW! What a difference. I can now do a burnout effortlessly. Seat of the pants is faster, but I don't know how much. It pulls now like it does when I take it to the track, pull out my sub box and have almost no gas in the tank. And this is with the sub box on, 1/2 a tank of gas and my son as a passenger. I did take Melon and Andy94SC for a ride tonight. It pulled like it normally does with just me in it. So with an extra 350~ lbs...That's pretty good I think.

There's only one downside to it. Something is amiss with my rotors. I'm pretty confident that it isn't the bearings as 1) we replaced them all, and 2) we took great care in making sure they were seated properly. The damage to the rotors either occurred as a result of driving it when the bearings were pretty much shot, or they were damaged during the rebuild process. I'm thinking that they were damaged prior to the rebuild as there were some pretty good scores inside the housing when we took it apart. I'm hoping that the rotors will "wear" into a functioning place rather than chucking that sc for now. I do have to say that it is definately stronger than before. Thanks again Ken, and we'll just have to see how long you can drive with slightly damaged rotors!

Its good to hear there is a lot to be gained with some sweat and elbow grease. Is there anybody out there that can recoat the rotors? I hope the rotors find their grove and quite down. It was good working with you and look forward to more projects

I thought I'd share that after the install, I forgot to tighten the cross talk tube up so I was leaking quite a bit of boost. I figured that out and now I am seeing easily over 15 lbs of boost. Even before I was seeing 12-13 lbs of boost. Prior to installing this rebuild, the best I was seeing was about 11 lbs of boost..Then with a 5% mybe 13 lbs.

The rotors have already quieted down quite a bit and is making some great power.

That is good to hear. How hard is it to dissassemble and assemble the SC? Is it noticably louder than before (whine not rotor noise)? The pics look good.

-Steve

The rebuild process was made much easier because we had a press at our disposal to properly seat the bearings. If it weren't for that, it would have been much more difficult. However, the actual disassembly and re-assembly process was not hard at all.

The supercharger is significantly louder than before, but I have still heard louder ones. You could only hear the rotor noise at idle anyway. I'm only running a 5% pulley on it right now. With a 10%, I'm sure it would be even louder. I want to upgrade my fuel system before I do too much more though.

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't want anything too extreme, but something that will perform a bit better than what I had on there to begin with. I'm heading to the track on the 30th to test it all out and see how much I gained from my few mods. When I installed this sc (and roller rockers) on my '89, I picked up .5 in the 1/4. That was before the rebuild, porting, 5% pulley and ported inlet plenum. I'm hoping to pick up around .5 when I get there. I may pick up a bit more though, I'm not sure. Then I could be like a friend of mine and actually slow down a bit. I don't think that will be the case though.

Sam,

Those scratches in the case don't look that bad. You would be suprised how much abuse the M90 can take and still keep moving air. Mine ate a couple screws from the throttle body and I drove the car for nearly a year before replacing the supercharger over this past winter. It still pegged the boost gauge and pulled over 365 rwhp after eating the screws. Luckily the screws got stuck in the intercooler and didn't get into the engine.

Here's what the rotors looked like...the case was just as bad.

bad%20rotors.jpg

David

Wow...I'm glad that didn't happen to mine!

I also talked to Ken (kenewagner) offline about the noise and he said that happens to the pumps he has to rebuild from time to time. The noise should go away as the rotors "get into their grove" as he stated it. We did sand down the case very lightly with some fine grit sand paper just to get the sharp edges down. But I was pleased that it didn't appear to be in too bad of shape. I just know it has made a huge difference in power. I can't understand why I didn't do this sooner!

Back