Volvo Intercooler in the works...

darkstar_one

Hi, Im buying a VOLVO intercooler for my SC, id figure i cant afford the MAGNUM POWERS and get this one and retrofit it to my SC, has anyone done this before? The only thing i dont like is that both the INLET and OUTLET are located on the same side, The magnum powers has one on top and one at the bottom, i like that better. Would it make a big difference? thanx, im looking at around with the new plumbing it would cost me aroud 100-200 dollars, i mean i think it will be worth it, or am is this just a pipe dream? im open to suggestions thanx

Attachments

• a1_1.jpg
    a1_1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 151
Hey Dark, i was going to do the same thing, but decided against it. Now when i posted on if the Mod was worth it many said that the intercooler wouldnt flow as well since it was made for smaller displacement turbo engines. No one has ever posted cfm data on what the thing actually flows. I did take a look at the lines, and found them to be slightly smaller than the stock IC lines. I said that to say :rolleyes: have the intercooler flowed and see what the pressure drop is and how much cfm it will flow before starting the project. I can have the intercooler flowed on a Superflo bench for 45 bucks.

darkstar_one said:
Hi, Im buying a VOLVO intercooler for my SC, id figure i cant afford the MAGNUM POWERS and get this one and retrofit it to my SC, has anyone done this before? The only thing i dont like is that both the INLET and OUTLET are located on the same side, The magnum powers has one on top and one at the bottom, i like that better. Would it make a big difference? thanx, im looking at around with the new plumbing it would cost me aroud 100-200 dollars, i mean i think it will be worth it, or am is this just a pipe dream? im open to suggestions thanx

DarkStar....That is not a picture of a Volvo IC...The Volvo IC's I have seen on ebay and such are MUCH smaller.

The IC in your picture there is from a Dodge Cummins Diesel PU application. It is too big to use on our cars. It has already been attempted years ago if I remember right.

NOW...If you want a doable alternative FMIC then look for the NPR by Isuzu...

Brad

blksc said:
That is a Volve IC i have one in the garage.

I concur! I have two of these(one in the garage, one in my 1989 Volvo 740 turbo sedan), I believe other model volvos(900 series most likely) got the same intercooler as well. You guys might want to look into the Izuzu NPR(truck...looks like a moving truck or whatever) intercoolers as well, you can sometimes get these for decent prices from junkyards or on ebay and they're much better then the stock volvo IC...some volvo guys step up to NPR's when they upgrade their turbochargers. By the way, I run 12-14psi through my Volvo IC w/ no problems from a small T3(stock) turbocharger(have ran 16psi before on racing fuel, but not often), I have heard of people blowing the plastic endtanks off this particular IC @ 17-18psi from their stock turbochargers.

EDIT: By the way, are any of you guys using intercooler sprayers on your ATA ic's..just wondering.

Last edited:
Back