few problems

thumphed

help! i need to get this thing driving right soon .... here's my issues:

Fan would NOT come on ... cut the fan side of connector, and hard-wired to batt ....

stalls at lights, vacuum issue from IC plumbing?

slight smoke from LH side of motor(drivers) valve cover gasket? ...

RR wheel lays in a little bit, not much, but enough to bother me ...

UCAs, where do i get them?

Hard to start, but i think thats due to 1/2 bad gas, and fouled plugs ... waiting on old gas to burn out before i change plugs ... tune-up soon ....

any help would be greatly appreciated ...

The fan motor is controlled by the IRC module up in front of the air filter box. If it's bad go to an auto parts store and get a fan control unit. Some are fixed at 185/165 and some are adjustable. You probably have a valve cover gasket leak, very common, and the oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold. If you have any vacuum leaks it'll stall at lights but so can the bad gas cause it.

fan control unit? is that vehicle specific? i'd like it to come on full @ 180, when my TStat opens ... for some reason, it doesnt really cool it down, as i said, its hardwired to the batt, well, stuck down in the gap of the terminal anyway.... and VC Gasket ... it would be the side under the IC ... to fix that i would need to remove the upper tube, right? i just put that back on ... @ the IC/Tube connection, should i put RTV there? or leave it straight aluminum?

Thanks!
James :cool:

The fan control units are generic. I bought mine at PEP Boys. Get the one with the adjustment. It's got a little thermocouple that you slide through the fins in the radiator under the water inlet, a sense line for ignition on/off, a +12v lead, ground, and fan power lead. Tap into the brown/orange stripe wire for the fan, it's the high speed connection. As for the IC tube connections, you can use RTV Ultra Black, just let it set up before you run it. It works Ok and a lot of the guys use it. I bought a 100' roll of the teflon tape from MSC supply a couple of years ago and use it.

Back