blower coupler spring 94-95

scbird1

Im going to replace mine. I changed it to a solid plastic one and have had a rattle at idle after she warms up. The early blowers must have no problem running the plastic one but the 94-95s seems to rattle. The big question is
Whitch side dose the orange side of the spring face? Im not sure if this matters or not. Just dont want to take it apart again. All but the rotors have changed. Also Where can I get a new spring coupler? Thanks for any info.

I replaced my coupler with the solid plastic piece too and have a rattle. Are you putting the stock piece back in, or leaving the solid plastic piece in?

I realy would like to buy a new spring coupler. The old ones have a tendency to break. Do a search though. With your year it might be the bearings.

Actually I just completed a rebuild on my '95 supercharger and got it installed on my '92 yesterday. And I've got some rattle to the blower now too. It's not like the bearing failure that I had on that blower previously. I'm just curious whether it is common that the coupler will cause some rattle in the sc. Right now I'm still running it on my SC. I think that I may leave it for a while. So is it common for the coupler to cause rattle?

My solid coupler has been in for a year. Its not like the rattle is worse but when its hot out it rattles more, especialy in gear. Im still gona change it out
as soon as I find a new one.

The stock coupler can look good but the springs (there are two in a stock coupler) can be sloppy on the rotor shaft that sticks out of drive gear. Look at some used rotors and see the grooves the coupler springs have cut in some of them and you'll see real fast what I'm talkin' about.
As far as slop with aftermarket couplers I think it depends on quality control and material used.

'bird

Attachments

• cplr7146.jpg
    cplr7146.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 100
  • cplr7166.jpg
    cplr7166.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hey Winn, do you know where I can get a new spring coupler? The solid coupler fits tight in all areas but make this rattle only on my 94 blower. I dont know why this happends as the others have the solid ones and are quiet.
After rebuilding with rear and snout bearings, seals and porting my blower I had this noise not realy a rattle but I figured I put the coupler on backwords or the springs were in the wrong spot so I put the solid coupler in and its far worse as it rattles in gear at idle. Give it a little gas and its gone all the way to wot no noise. Which way dose the orange side go to and dose the snout or the blower go in the holes? Mark

Attachments

• DVC00069.JPG
    DVC00069.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
scbird1 said:
Hey Winn, do you know where I can get a new spring coupler? The solid coupler fits tight in all areas but make this rattle only on my 94 blower. I dont know why this happends as the others have the solid ones and are quiet.
After rebuilding with rear and snout bearings, seals and porting my blower I had this noise not realy a rattle but I figured I put the coupler on backwords or the springs were in the wrong spot so I put the solid coupler in and its far worse as it rattles in gear at idle. Give it a little gas and its gone all the way to wot no noise. Which way dose the orange side go to and dose the snout or the blower go in the holes? Mark
Sorry to take so long replyin', couldn't quit starin' at that window decal (LOL!)

The noise you're gettin' is probably because one or both of the springs in the stock coupler aren't engaging the pins correctly. When you put the coupler on the drive gear, make extremely sure that a pin on the gear hooks behind the coil spring on the backside of the coupler. Then try to insert a shaft pin next to the front spring. In your pic this would be right about the 3 o'clock position. This is so the shaft will bear against the front spring when installed.

Wish I could get those pics off my main hardrive and show ya the number that the stock coupler can do on the shaft flange & the drive gear.

The orange goes towards the snout shaft.

'bird

cplr7146.jpg

cplr7166.jpg

Thanks Winn, The widow decal is the best mod I ever did to my black car. I wished I had 2 at the time but one works nicely. I had drank a little to much the night I took it apart and the next day I was like uh ***** which way did it go but now you have shed light on it. Thanks a bunch, Mark

Attachments

• DVC00058.JPG
    DVC00058.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 89
scbird1 said:
Thanks Winn, The widow decal is the best mod I ever did to my black car. I wished I had 2 at the time but one works nicely. I had drank a little to much the night I took it apart and the next day I was like uh ***** which way did it go but now you have shed light on it. Thanks a bunch, Mark
If you look real close at the mating surface of the aluminum flange on the rear of the shaft you might see a telltale mark from where the fat spring has been rubbing over the lifetime of the coupler/flange. I really need those pics off my main drive, kinda aggravatin' not bein' able to show ya.

side note: That lil ol decal just might win you a contingency prize or two at the next Shootout...

'bird

ps: I still wanna trade my whole front yard for your driveway :D

Last edited:
Back