Autocrossing the SC(how do they do)?

SC UL8R1990

i know autocrossing has alot to do with the driver, but how does the sc in general stand out on the track? i noticed a member not to far from me goes autocrossing(Shane, Quick35th). Seems like it would be a pretty good time, may i dare say......maybe funner than the drag strip, hehe :p . i love ripping down the 1/4 but auto-xing seems pretty darn fun. :D

Not only that but a couple sway bars and a set of nice shocks/springs could yield a good performing SC :cool:

Last edited:
The SC is a big car so it is going to be handicapped going through any tight gates or slaloms. However it's balance and torque make up for a lot of shortcomings. It can do well as some others have discovered but it's no match for a smaller lighter car.

XR7 Dave said:
It can do well as some others have discovered but it's no match for a smaller lighter car.

I would not go that far. It will supprise you. I know that a few others can vouch for whay the SC will do. I went up against an EVO and beat it at last months event. I was within a second of a vipers time, and within 10 seconds of the fastest time of the day which was an open wheeled formula car and I was on street tires. I had times yesterday that were right with some of the miatas.

-Steve

SC UL8R1990 said:
i know autocrossing has alot to do with the driver, but how does the sc in general stand out on the track?

Auto-X and track are two different things really. Auto-X is usually a temporary course set up with pylons in a large parking lot, or sometimes an airfield or a portion of a racetrack. Track is just that, a track, which can vary a lot in size. A car that works well in an auto-X situation, can be a piece of crap on a racetrack, and vice-versa. I've yet to try an autocross with my SC (used to do a fair amount of it with my 5.0L Mustang), but have done several track events. On the big tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen, that have fast, sweeping corners, the SC isn't bad. On tighter tracks, it's a bit of a struggle. Adding a larger rear stab. bar only, and having the adjustability of the Koni shocks, helps quite a bit. My avatar pic is from an SVTOA event last fall at Shannonville, a smaller track here in Ontario.

cheers,
Ed N.

BikerSC said:
I would not go that far. It will supprise you. I know that a few others can vouch for whay the SC will do. I went up against an EVO and beat it at last months event. I was within a second of a vipers time, and within 10 seconds of the fastest time of the day which was an open wheeled formula car and I was on street tires. I had times yesterday that were right with some of the miatas.

-Steve

Maybe all the drivers there sucked. :rolleyes: :D I've autocrossed both the XR7 and "a smaller, lighter car" and while the SC will surprise most everyone, it is still a big heavy car and there is no defying the laws of physics.

Autocrossing is a very technical sport. A good driver in a PU truck will walk all over a lousy driver in a Ferrari. If you pick bad lines through the corners/gates or brake too much or too early there is no time to make it up like you might on a road course. A good autocrosser has to be dead right all the time, every time. If you have a "knack" for picking the right lines you can destroy half the field every time (unless you are in an extremely competitive arena like Dallas TX, for example. :)

well i guess it wouldnt hurt going to try auto-x and see how i like it.

sometimes i wish i still had my little crx....

until i hit the gas pedal in the SC :D

The SC is a very fun car (with the right tires) on an autocross track.

Here are some results from the last autocross I was in. I am in FS. The 96 Mustang is a Cobra and the 00 Mustang was actually an 03 Mach 1. Also, the 95 Thunderbird is a SC 5spd. Look at my times and compare them to other people in other classes.

http://ovr-scca.org/download/eventResults/soloII/2004/PE4.htm

Walter, hey if you want to get into autocross you should come down to one of the OVR events. If you dont want to run your car right away I would be more than happy to give you rides in my 35th.

Heres a link to future events:
http://ovr-scca.org/eventSchedules/solo.asp

Shane

Last edited:
quick35th said:
The SC is a very fun car (with the right tires) on an autocross track.

Here are some results from the last autocross I was in. I am in FS. The 96 Mustang is a Cobra and the 00 Mustang was actually an 03 Mach 1. Also, the 95 Thunderbird is a SC 5spd. Look at my times and compare them to other people in other classes.

http://ovr-scca.org/download/eventResults/soloII/2004/PE4.htm

Walter, hey if you want to get into autocross you should come down to one of the OVR events. If you dont want to run your car right away I would be more than happy to give you rides in my 35th.

Heres a link to future events:
http://ovr-scca.org/eventSchedules/solo.asp

Shane

i wont be able to make it with my sc until after september 1st. due to a license suspension :eek: But anytime after that would be great! Might have a buddy tag along with his VW Golf.

shoot me an email sometime and we can plan to meet up sometime in september. I want to get a few ohio guys rallied up. :cool:

scul8r1990@zoominternet.net

I tried to check out the SCCA site, but it's way too cluttered and daunting.

Summary of what you need to do to get into it? Or basically hit and event and watch and learn?

Atlanta has a lot of them at Turner field, anyone here do them?

SC UL8R1990 said:
i wont be able to make it with my sc until after september 1st. due to a license suspension :eek: But anytime after that would be great! Might have a buddy tag along with his VW Golf.

shoot me an email sometime and we can plan to meet up sometime in september. I want to get a few ohio guys rallied up. :cool:

scul8r1990@zoominternet.net

Well there is only one event in September, so lets try to shoot for it.

When it gets a little closer I will email you.

Shane

JStudrawa said:
I tried to check out the SCCA site, but it's way too cluttered and daunting.

Summary of what you need to do to get into it? Or basically hit and event and watch and learn?

Atlanta has a lot of them at Turner field, anyone here do them?

$25 and a snell m95 helmet if you have one (if not they have loaners you can use). And then pretty much show up and someone will probably be glad to help you figure out what class your car falls in. It will most likely be in one of the following classes, F stock, E street prepared, F prepared, F mod depending on what you have done to it. I just showed up and ran the first time. The only thing car wise is that your car needs to be sound and the battery can not move around much or they will make you bungee it.

Give it a try, it is fun.

-Steve

SC UL8R1990 said:
Seems like it would be a pretty good time, may i dare say......maybe funner than the drag strip, hehe :p .

In my opinion and experience autocross is definatly much more fun, but I do love drag racing too. I go to National Trail Raceway every wensday if I can.

Shane

Also, I forgot to metion this. I got an onboard camera inside my 35th and have alot of autocrossing runs and some drag racing too. I wouldn't mind putting some autocrossing videos on here for the people that have never been to see, but I dont know how to post the videos. Could someone maybe tell me how?

Shane

Shane, those are some pretty impressive results with the SC. What was the difference for you between the 47 sec runs and the 45's? I can't believe you got six runs, usually I thought they only allow 3??

Dave, I guess I just pushed the car really hard. The guy with the 96 Cobra is one of my buddies and we battle back and forth. I try my hardest to beat the Cobra but haven't yet. We usually get 4 or more runs per event depending on how many people sign up.

Shane

Heres a couple pics form the last autocross 2 weeks ago. I just finally got around to putting them on here. I have a lot of video that I will be starting a new thread later on.

I dont have any good ontrack pics but I think the video will serfise.

Shane

Attachments

• 35th in the pits.jpg
    35th in the pits.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 43
Me fooling around doing the people's eyebrow before all the racing started.

Hope to get the videos up soon.

Shane

Attachments

• my fooling around.jpg
    my fooling around.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back