Car not always starting

PRL JM 51

Yesterday when i tried to start my car i could here the fuel pump and everything kick on. But when i turned the ignition to turn over the motor nothing would happen. Today when i did the same the car started up just fine. Luckily this happened right next to my house but next time i may not be so lucky. Does anyone have an idea where i should start to try to aleve this problem?

Thanks for all Replies and consideration,

Nick

Hey was it really hot outside?

Engine heat combined with hot outside temp is bad for SC . Bad gas (ethanol) will lite to late and cause start up problems.. SC uses premium gas 92 octane and above no ethanol unless you have no choice.. SC work better and run stronger in the cool weather.... Here in IOWA they are trying to get 85 octane motors approved so they can put more cornohol in the gas.. Idiots say bye bye to performance. All because of the mighty dollar...We got alot of corn around here...

there is a small wire that leads to the starter solenoid, which has a spade connector on it that loses continuity with age. unplug this wire and clean the connector/ plug it in and see if that solves your problem. my '92 sc aod left me hanging at a bank one day and i found out that was the issue. when i fixed this, i never had anymore trouble with it.

also try checking yourr ignition switch for excessive play. if the car starts, and while idling it shuts down while you're moving the switch slightly, then the ignition switch mounted on the right side under the steering column cover is not making full continuity. my 5 spd sc had this problem and i ended up taking apart the switch, cleaning the contacts, and re installing it. it worked fine ever since.

Last edited:
Back