should i remove the mufflers?

darkstar_one

ok, well my car doesnt have the stock exhaust, it has some down-tubes to some cats, then to the stock resonator, all the pipes are the stock size, well will the car sound ok if i just delete the MUFFLERs? will it sound ok?

For a while I ran my car with all stock exhaust except for it had no rear mufflers. It sounded ok, and wasn't that loud. It wasn't bad, but I later replaced the stock resonator with a Magnaflow res and it sounds 100% better now. Much deeper sound and quieter inside the car, with no drone.

Cutting off the rear mufflers is a cheap way to get some sound out of your SC. Go for it.

Shane

Cut them off about midway off the Y pipe....

so you can reconnect them easy if you have to. Also, when I had them off, I could then put 90 bends and have them come out to the back pretty neat.

But we've had this discussion before...and why I can't believe anyone would like the sound of no rear mufflers....I found an incredibly objectionable resonance at 2300 or thereabouts....a drone that seemed to resonate right into my brain.

It wasn't that bad with WOT and blasting around there and there...that part was cool...but the ride to work on the highway I'd go out of my way to avoid that RPM....

Now taking out the "center muffler" doesn't do that resonance thing in my opinion....it makes other basic exhaust noise...which is coupled into the car....you may like it or not...and many say that's livable.

Which makes me wonder why the center is referred to as the "resonator".
I've had many other cars where the back 2 mufflers were referred to as the "resonators"....not the mufflers....and one was a 69 T-bird.

just replace the sotck resonator for now. it's got horrible bottle necks in it. some go smaller than 1 3/4"!!. keep your stock mufflers on until you can get a system.

I believe it acts as a muffler...not a "resonator"

It really cuts down on the overall exhaust noise....and you can see why because it is a major flow restriction.

Gutting has been talked about and I think someone did it and it just sounded like a hollow can and made noise...so you'd be better to put in an X pipe or simply bypass it.

if you leave your stock mufflers on, you can just delete the resonator. youll notice a little exhuast note change. but better flow.

YOU NEED TEH RESONATOR TO CUT DOWN ON RESONATION..GUTTING IT WILL DEFEAT THAT!..

Replace stock resonator with a magnaflow unit..Even with stock mufflers you will get a nice sound change and better performance..Better then cuttiong off rear mufflers

Slowpoke

By the time you go through the aggravation of trying to adapt the magnaflow to the stock system...you might as well take a bit extra and bypass the cats.

I have the magnaflow that SCCOA recommends on my car....it is a complete flow through design so it shouldn't add any restriction....but it is heavy and its hard to tuck up there. ....it's rather big.

I thought I'd need it to help cut down on the noise of the headers I have...
But I'd first bypass everything in the middle, then see how he likes it....

If you work out the deal with the straight bypass and into a Y....you could always then have the option to add in 2 high flow cats without much trouble...and even as a source of extra siliencing.

well i live in california and i cant remove the cats here, then again laws are meant to be broken.... hmmmm.... maybe i will make a straight pipe design and a stock design also.

in california smog check is ever 2 years, mines is coming up next year.

well what about this,

2 1/2 down tubes>2 high flo cats> resonator> flowmaster force II exhaust?

anyone think it wont be smog legal?

also, im finishing up some nice ported exhaust manifolds, i ported them to 2 1/16 inches, pretty damn wide.

if it wont pass smog then i can build a smog legal exhaust as backup when the test comes around next year.

Actually another reason I put on the magnaflow ...

was the thought that I could probably BS with the police after they impound my car for doing 165 on the highway that I thought it was a CAT when I bought it.....

I think you'd be much better off with experimenting with the complete bypass design using one Y pipe and then add the high flow cats later....and only when you need them at inspection...which will keep them brand new forever also.

When you scope this out....you'll see you can come down from the headers and with a couple 120 bends and adjustment of this length and that get it to where you want it....and when it's done you'll have enough straight pipe in there to do the 2 high flow cats when needed.

Breakthrough for CALI SC's

Hey Darkstarr,
I recently sold my 89 sc to a buddy. As you know I had to smog it. The rebuilt engine had 6000 miles on the clock. The previous engine that blew clogged up the cats so I hollowed them out when I installed the new engine. It passed smog with no problems! Unfortunately, they do a visual inspection for the cats so bypassing wont work. Just a little info. JJ

are u serious? hollowed out cats and u passed the smog? wow, hmmm
hmmm, but then again it was a rebuilt, i will keep that in mind. thanx, anyone else?

Back