Last try....Pulley Interest??

SCollord90

Well my exhaust will be done in another day or two and I am about ready to put on a supercharger pulley. I already tried to round up some interest to get a group buy going but it didn't work (also posted in the wrong area). If anybody is interested just drop a line. Maybe we can get a group deal.

new exhaust also...

SCollord90 said:
Well my exhaust will be done in another day or two and I am about ready to put on a supercharger pulley. I already tried to round up some interest to get a group buy going but it didn't work (also posted in the wrong area). If anybody is interested just drop a line. Maybe we can get a group deal.

I am very interested, im in canada though:S not sure if that means anything but im very interested, my exhaust is getting done at the end of the month on my 93 SC. not too sure if i wanna 5% or a 10% though...any suggestions?

It depends on how free flowing of an exhaust you have and what level of performance you are looking for. I my self am going with the 10%...gotta show people whats what.

SCollord90 said:
It depends on how free flowing of an exhaust you have and what level of performance you are looking for. I my self am going with the 10%...gotta show people whats what.

Can I give some advise from personal experience. I wouldn't invest in a smaller pulley until you open up the intake. Bigger TB, MAF, injectors, and fuel pump. Both Jeremy and I saw no significant increase in boost with the 5% pulley at this elevation. If you put a 10% pulley with the stock TB and MAF you won't be giving it enough air to make a difference. We are too high. Especially with a stock intercooler. The only variable I can think of is if you have an opened up exhaust. It might, I say might, make a difference justifying the purchase. Just my .02 :D

Oh yeah, any interest on going to the track next Saturday night? I'm putting in new engine mounts on Friday, new ALDP plugs, Taylor wires, ported blower, plenum, and shiny things! :D I also hose clamed all the vacuum hoses to seal any boost leaks.

thanx ;)

Darkside said:
Can I give some advise from personal experience. I wouldn't invest in a smaller pulley until you open up the intake. Bigger TB, MAF, injectors, and fuel pump. Both Jeremy and I saw no significant increase in boost with the 5% pulley at this elevation. If you put a 10% pulley with the stock TB and MAF you won't be giving it enough air to make a difference. We are too high. Especially with a stock intercooler. The only variable I can think of is if you have an opened up exhaust. It might, I say might, make a difference justifying the purchase. Just my .02 :D

i will do so, im just happy that im gettin the exhaust done and intake put on, follow up with some suspension work. :D

www.cardomain.com/id/scmakeiv

Darkside said:
Sorry, but I have to interject on this one. If you did not see a boost and/or performance increase, something is wrong. Regardless of elevation, spinning the blower faster will increase boost (to an extent) and it will cause it to come on sooner. Top fuel cars crank the boost up by changing pulleys when they run in Colorado because of the thin air (actually, there is the same oxygen content, the higher elevation means lower pressure, NHRA coverage this past Sunday did a good storey on explaining this) so the same principles apply here. Now, on the flip side, if it is 100*+ then the increased outlet temperatures may be causing you to hit on the knock sensor and that would account for a lack of notable performance increase. Better intercooling and/or higher octane fuel would help improve that situation.

Paul

And don't forget, the more you spin that blower, the more heat it will produce, so with a stock intercooler and maybe a ic fan, you may be ok with the 5% pulley. With the 10% pulley, you better think about going to a front mount intercooler and ic fan.

David

BT Motorsports said:
Sorry, but I have to interject on this one. If you did not see a boost and/or performance increase, something is wrong. Regardless of elevation, spinning the blower faster will increase boost (to an extent) and it will cause it to come on sooner. Top fuel cars crank the boost up by changing pulleys when they run in Colorado because of the thin air (actually, there is the same oxygen content, the higher elevation means lower pressure, NHRA coverage this past Sunday did a good storey on explaining this) so the same principles apply here. Now, on the flip side, if it is 100*+ then the increased outlet temperatures may be causing you to hit on the knock sensor and that would account for a lack of notable performance increase. Better intercooling and/or higher octane fuel would help improve that situation.

Paul

Well Paul, I can only tell you 3 things.
1. Two stock cars, 1 a 90 XR7 and my 91 SC, same results. There was a minimal increase in boost.
2. Highest octane out here is 91. Unless of course you don't have any cats.
I read something where you said you could add Tolulene but I don't have the facts on that. Maybe you could elaborate?
3. I don't drive a top fuel car and I'm pretty sure they don't use M90's.

Overdriving the M90 at 5800 feet with a stock intercooler on pump gas isn't going to give anyone 2 or 3 lbs of boost that they will be expecting. I'm livin it man. I'm just reporting what I have experienced.

On the other side, I don't regret buying the pulley from Paul as it is the nicest one out there and will become more useful after some supporting mods, but it isn't helping me too much yet.

My comments are not in defense of the product, they are in perspective of how a smaller pulley affects the vehicle.
What I am saying is there has to be an underlying cause for a lack of increase, belt slippage would be the first thing I would check for.
  1. What I am saying is there has to be an underlying cause for a lack of increase, belt slippage would be the first thing I would check for.
  2. You can read up on toluene here: http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~audi/audi/toluene.html
  3. Top fuel dragsters and funny cars use roots positive displacement superchargers just like the SC does, so the correlation is very relevant to this discussion.
Again, elevation is not what is preventing an increase of boost and that is my concern as something else apparently is.

Paul

A 5% pulley is only good for 1psi. I've verified this on a chassis dyno with a boost transducer. No belt slippage. It is very possible you may not notice any difference. On my car it was worth 10rwhp and 15rwtq. (335-345hp and 388-405tq) although the car is no faster at the track. On another car it cost 10rwhp and gained no torque because the stock IC could not handle the additional heat and the pulley caused detonation and the EEC pulled timing.

Parts are not just parts. It is the combo that works. Work the combination. What is right for one application is not right for the next.

Paul, do you offer a 10% pulley with these group buys or only a 5%?

I hope Dave's expansion puts this into a better perspective for everyone. Without being present, its hard to determine what is actually conclusive about Darkside's car.

Dave, the group purchase offers a mix and match of 5% and 10% pulleys available.

I will have my exhaust done by Friday...Custom headers to true dual 2.5" exhaust with an x-pipe (don't ask how thats fitting). Since there hasn't been any real interest I bought a 10% so oh well. I intend to buy a TB and Mass air and am working on a custom FMIC or something similar I'm still looking into it. :D

XR7 Dave said:
Parts are not just parts. It is the combo that works. Work the combination. What is right for one application is not right for the next.

That is what I was trying to say to SCollord90. I wouldn't recommend buying a smaller pulley with the expectations that it's going to give you a big gain on its own. That was why I said to work on the intake side first. Paul, if you had to choose one which would you take, a 5% pulley, or a bigger TB, MAF and injectors. A stock SC up here makes 10 lbs of boost. What does a stock SC make in California? Last time I checked elevation still affected superchargers, right? Now with my 5% I noticed almost 1 lb of boost. I was hoping for 2 or 3. My mistake. I felt that SCollord was going in with high intentions and didn't want him to be dissapointed. He made this statement in his first post: "I my self am going with the 10%...gotta show people whats what". I took that as like a 10% pulley was going to give him huge gains with everything else being stock, intercooler, and intake. Unless he was joking, which changes everything. :eek: :D I guess it doesn't matter because he ordered a pulley anyway. I also didn't make these assertions based on my car alone. It's a constant result in three. SCollords SC used to belong to me. I know what that car used to be capable of. He's made some changes so he might have different results. That car, my current car, and Jeremy's XR7 never made more than 10 lbs. of boost. That's why I stated that I'm just reporting what I have experienced. This week I have clamped all vacuum hoses and am resealing the entire intake. I will see what happens next Saturday. I also ported the blower and plenum a little bit. I don't know if I will get any big gains because the intake side of my car is still stock as well. What do you guys think, will porting the blower accomplish anything with everything else being stock? I built a raised top as well.

BTW Paul, I was just giving you a hard time about the top fuel cars and the M90. Not trying to be a smart ***! :D I know you're comments weren't based on defense of your product, I just didn't want to hurt any sales or sound like I was badmouthing your pulley. ;)

IMO when you have a relatively stock motor the mods that make sense are as follows:

70mm stock MAF
Double IC with fan.
10% pulley
ported blower
180 degree thermostat and chip
gut cats and replace resonator or relocate cats downstream to where the resonator was.
gears.

This will get you into some solid mid 14's and won't break the bank. Other things will help but these things need to be done first. It will make the car a hoot to drive and YES a ported blower and pulley do wonders even with a totally stock intake.

Have a nice day. :D

Well forgot to factor in a thing or two in my total exhaust cost and so my plan for buying mass air and TB have been spoiled for the time being. Shi*. :eek:

Sorry about my late response...I work from 5-9 so it all depends. I am tempted but $ is an issue :p. I'm almost positive Dion's is underpaying me severly...my pay check said I worked 15 hrs less than what I counted!!! Time to start bitching at them :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . But back to the subject what time are you going? Oh and for those of you who don't know SC's sound surprisingly awesome with only headers. Actually make some good bass and plenty of roar. Not as impressive as a built 302 but definately cool. :cool: :D

We'll be there from 6 ish to probably 11 or 12. Do you work at the Dion's on Academy and Wyoming? Jeremy said he saw your car in that parking lot.

My exhaust is being installed today, it consists of factory manifolds with 2 1/4 downtubes and highflow cats into 2, 2 1/2 pipes into a magnaflow resonator then into a 3" pipe and finally back into 2, 2 1/2 pipes with turbo mufflers. I'll be installing a 5% alumninum sc pulley and an intake. So from what you guys are saying I'm not going to get any gains. I should net gains from the exhaust alone shouldn't I? It's so damn restrictive. Man this news is depressing :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back