Blower problem

SeventyMach1

I have aquired a blower from a SC. Not sure what year it is, but it has the oval port for the intake. I bought this one to customize onto my 3.0 Ranger. I made brackets for it and mounted it on last week. I put a belt on it. I have not yet put any ducts onto it. Nothing on the intake side or the exhaust side. When I fired my engine up to see what it would sound like, I realized there is a problem. It screams so incredibly loud, it could deafen you. Especially if you give the engine some RPM's. I don't know much about these. I know it has fluid in it. I went and bought some from Ford and topped it off before I fired it up. What could it be? A bearing or something for a rotor? Some1 please help!!

please describe the sound. whining, clanking,marbles in a can?

Other than that, i would expect it to be loud! Its sucking in air and pushing it right out if its not plumbed to anything ;)

BTW- oval port = 89-93 blower

Without covering the intake and discharge ports that thing is going to make some absolutely outrageous noise. Somebody around here ran one with just the discharge side open, throttle body still in place, so intake air was limited, and they said it sounded like the world loudest impact wrench. Go ahead and duct it up and then run it. If its got a bad bearing then get another used supercharger. The things are easily gotten. I doubt it's got a problem unless somebody ran it out of fluid or jacked with it somehow. The Eaton SC is the Energizer bunny of the supercharger world.

So it's supposed to be that loud??? That's pretty much what it sounds like---a 10,000 ft.-lb. impact wrench. I've heard plenty of SC's running, but this is significantly louder. I guess I'll go ahead and plumb it up and give it a try. Hopefully it will quiten down a lot. 89-93...gotcha. Thanks a bunch!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask about the plumbing pieces. I've got just the blower. What are the pieces called that I need? Whatever mounts onto the backside (intake) is most inportant to me. I don't really need the exhaust side's ducts. Also, isn't there some kind of valve that mounts with that back piece??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I cant recall what they are called... but i have an extra set of the rest of the induction laying in my garage (for sale)

i have everything execpte the supercharger... upper and lower IC tubes... the IC and the intake and bypass (not sure that its called that but the bypass valve is located there.

let me know if your intrested

those tubes

hey guys the ducts or plumbing u refer to for the blower are called inter cooler tubes...and unless u have some crazy plan to work ur blower without the intercooler, u will need one of these too along with the tubes and blower

One question i do have for you, how are you going to tell ur computer in the ranger to work ur blower and intercooler without messing it up? Do u know of a programmer who will change your EEC or whatever the rangers have>? Just a thuoght.....goooood luck

Yeah, it's an EEC-IV. I will have to have it reprogrammed. It just needs to learn to compensate for the added amount of air so the right amount of fuel will be supplied, from what I can catch anyways. Anyone else know of anything I need to do? I'm going to get back to work on it next week sometime.

I doubt the stock tubes are going to fit in your application. You ought to just buy the Inlet plenum (bolts to the rear of the inlet of the SC, includes the bypass valve), and the outlet top (has 3.8 embossed on it).

You can remove the nut from the top and use exhaust tubing to the IC if you use one.

Jeff

Kinda weird that U said that, because that is EXACTLY how I was going to do it. I already have the outlet top and I removed the nut yesterday. Now I'm gonna have an exhaust shop hook me up. I need the Inlet Plenum with the BV, and assocciating bolts if anyone can help...

Back