Differences between stock springs and aftermarket?

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
I'm about 99% certain that I want to go with the Eibach pro kit springs (progressive rate, 1.5'' drop), but it seems to me that all of the aftermarket kits are beefing up the rear springs more than the front (as compared to stock spring rates). So... I assume that this will help us get a better launch off the line, but what about handling on curvy mountainous roads? Will the weight transfer get all out of wack? I mean as compared to the stock brake proportioning settings and the stock spring rates, or will I stay stuck to the road like i'm used to?

My point is, I'm not sure I want to change the relative spring rates (front to back) if that's going to screw with the balance of the car.

well, the thing about aftermarket is, the technology is better, it will defintely help you out at the strip, or red light :D, just install the springs the way they are supposed too, if u want to stick to the road more, go with some aftermarket shocks too, i think the TOKICO, TOXICO, whatever say they are 30 percent more firmer in FIRM mode, u get to keep ur Automatic ride control with the TOKICO,TOXICO shocks, ask more questions so u can get more answers, they should start to follow up pretty quick.

Yeah, the fronts do have less of a spring rate than stock, and you'll really feel that after you get them installed before you get it aligned. Look over at TCCOA.com for more information on the spring rates. I have the Eibach and Tokico set up and thoroughly am enjoying them. Because all I have are hand tools, doing it myself would up being more than I can handle. So, 400 bucks later for a fixed labor rate and they were installed. I love taking corners around exit ramps and curvy roads here in the hills. But, I also own a sportbike, so more time is spent with it on the curves. But, with the shock/spring set up, the SC does handle surprisingly well. I drive around mostly with my automatic/firm ride set in the firm position, so it kinda makes me wish that I went with either Koni or Bilsteins instead. Just my $ .02.

Michael Mattix said:
Yeah, the fronts do have less of a spring rate than stock, and you'll really feel that after you get them installed before you get it aligned. Look over at TCCOA.com for more information on the spring rates. I have the Eibach and Tokico set up and thoroughly am enjoying them. Because all I have are hand tools, doing it myself would up being more than I can handle. So, 400 bucks later for a fixed labor rate and they were installed. I love taking corners around exit ramps and curvy roads here in the hills. But, I also own a sportbike, so more time is spent with it on the curves. But, with the shock/spring set up, the SC does handle surprisingly well. I drive around mostly with my automatic/firm ride set in the firm position, so it kinda makes me wish that I went with either Koni or Bilsteins instead. Just my $ .02.

How does this compare to current cars? Ride well but handle great. Like Acura or Infiniti?

I don't want a floaty ride, but not back breaking either. But one that doesn't roll the car in turns either.

Eibach's in my 90

I installed a set of Eibach springs in my 90 and the ride is very tight. It feels more firm in auto, than the stock set up in firm (I still have the original shocks.) It handles awsome with very little body roll, but its a rough ride. JJ

Cool guys, thanks. I am planning on going with the Koni inserts b/c they (from what I've been able to read) are capable of the Stiffest! ride as far as shocks go. I'm not too sad about loosing out on the ARC.

That being said, I was moslty interested in whether the change in spring rate ratio (front to back) would make the car handle worse on a tight curvy road b/c they're set up for a better launch?

From reading most people's posts, people are satisfied with the "increase" in handling from the new spring, so... i guess that's a good sign.

go to SHOX.com

S/T linear rate springs...Best spring rate around...And WHAT A DIFFERENCE..HAd Eibachs before..HAd tokicos...The S/t's kick butt 1.5drop dead on even..Check my member page for apic of my car dropped

Yeah, thanks, I was going to go there. They're about a 1/2 hour away from Oceanside, CA, where i'll be doing the work. So, you've had eibach's before. I have heard varrying storyies about differences in drop from one person's application to another's. Anywhere from 1'' -- 2''. Wierd, huh?

How would you describe the differences between Eibach's and S/T's? From a handling perspective of course.

The S/T's shou;d be a little harsher being their spring rates are higher then the EIbachs....Also they are linear rate so you dont get that mush then firm feel when cornering..However with my 4,000lb car the stiffer linear rate spring feels amazing/And it dropped my car dead even..With the Eibachs my car sat a lil higher in the rear. Give them a try..Youll love em

Yeah, I don't like that "Drop" or "click" into a turn feeling. It's tooooo... "lets wait and see how this turn "turns" out".

The Shox.com Koni's that are matched to the Eibachs, are they "matched" to the S/T's as well? I'm assuming so, b/c they both claim the same drop.

Update...

I'm thinking of going with the Eibach springs (~1.5'' drop) and the Koni Shocks.

One of my more enjoyable experiences with the bird is cruizing the CA freeways. b/c I don't want that smooth nay I say "perfect" ride comprimized by a linear rate spring that might not have enough give, I'm going to go with the Eibachs.

Or... would the linear rate springs still feel like a better ride on California's smoooooooth roads?

5th Gear, 2,500 RPM's, 12'' of vacuum... aaaaaaahhhhhhhh...

I installed the Tokico/Eibach combo on my 90 SC.Ride is firm but handles excellent.I also recently installed the BIGGEST antisway bars that Addco sells(dont recall the size offhand) and that made the car stiffer still but the cornering ability is remarkable.For me I would sacrafice a little ride quality to get better handeling any day.There is nothing like the reaction from people who ride in your car when you are taking off ramps at 60 mph plus :D Its priceless!"Aren't you going to slow down -there is a turn coming up" is my girlfriends favorite saying while in my passenger seat.I just grin and turn the wheel :D

It's amazing how opinions vary over these suspension changes. I originally installed the Tokico Kit on my '93 (their 1.25" lower springs, linear & replacement shock set). What I found, even with new cushions and bushings was that the ride was "mushy" and, I have to leave the 'firm ride' on all the time. So on my '94 I thought I'd spend the extra on Eibachs, seeing how most people seem to like them. I installed the shorter 1.25" v. 1.5" (spring ratings are the same, although recommended for the na. t/bird). I put new cushions on the rear, new control arms & bushings up front, new Tokico's + the 1.1/8" rear sway bar. However, the car bottoms-out like crazy. I've already damaged the Kenny Brown rear suspension brace, scraped paint of the Flowmaster resonator and cut grooves in my high-flow cats (only just a fraction lower than the auto trans pan !!!!!). After the springs/bushings settled-in (had a lot of 'moans & groans' from the rear bushings at first), I find the ride nice around town (paving joints and the like), but as soon as you hit a string of bumps the car really bounces (hence I've been bottoming out); so yet again I end up leaving the suspension on the 'firm ride' setting ( I don't sense that the replacement Tokico's are 30% stiffer than stock, either).
Needless to say I'm very disappointed - my call would be that the stock set-up takes some beating - Ford got it right.
JIm.

This is MikeKanterakis. I'm in Oceanside, using Jim's computer, and don't feel like signing out.and back in.

Krud...!!!

So the eibachs are a little smooshy?

That's not the kind of ride I'm looking for.

Hey Damon, how's the ride on the freeway with those S/T's?

Back