PDA

View Full Version : what do i have to lose?

porsche911
07-22-2004, 02:25 AM
this is a two part what if question.

situation:
93 sc needs supercharger and airconditioning (see also where i am at so far post). wrench will not replace supercharger and i am leaving in 3 days and i need a car for wife to get groceries.

what if i run the car with a supercharger that has a bad bearing?

what if i go to local junk yard, get a used ac compressor and dump r 134a into my ac system? $1100 was the quote to fix the a/c. a little steep so far.

kyle
[email protected]

BT Motorsports
07-22-2004, 02:54 AM
You can remove the blower belt and drive the car normally aspirated. Can't shed any light on the AC though.

Paul

fivaxis
07-22-2004, 03:53 AM
I got a NEW compressor, accumulator, liquid line, r134a fittings, o rings, and oil for I think $270 shipped. You can't just dump in r134a, you have to replace the accumulator and make sure the old oil is gone from the condensor and evaporator (I just blew them out with air hose).

Tony8470
07-22-2004, 04:04 AM
If it's only going to be used for groceries then I would focus more of my energy into getting the supercharger properly replaced/fixed. The A/C is a creature comfort, of which mine does not work. I think being nourished is more important than being cool. TBird88 has bearings, you can TRY to get it done in 3 days.

porsche911
07-22-2004, 05:40 AM
If it's only going to be used for groceries then I would focus more of my energy into getting the supercharger properly replaced/fixed. The A/C is a creature comfort, of which mine does not work. I think being nourished is more important than being cool. TBird88 has bearings, you can TRY to get it done in 3 days.

for the next 6 weeks i will be in california. my wife will be here in hawaii and using the car to tool the streets and travel back and forth to work when she gets a job. i forsee her longest trip being about 8 miles, but in hawaii that can be a 30 minute trip or more if caught in traffic.

she has begged for the ac to be fixed, and understands that the engine comes first. so the ac is a matter to be attended to about 7 weeks from now. (still a warm time here)

kyle

David Neibert
07-22-2004, 07:26 AM
If your in a real bind for time and cash, just remove the supercharger belt, burp the cooling system by loosening the plug above the thermostat housing and then cut wire #14 on your ICRM to keep the low speed fan running.

You can dig in and fix it right when you get back from CA.

David

Mike8675309
07-22-2004, 07:36 AM
you can always try to find a used car for under $1000 that has functioning A/C but doesn't look pretty. Fix the SC later.

porsche911
07-22-2004, 10:19 AM
you can always try to find a used car for under $1000 that has functioning A/C but doesn't look pretty. Fix the SC later.

yea we looked last week and our cheap car is the super coupe. i actually tried selling this one and was down to as low as $1300 for it. reality finally hit that i have a car with a new motor and rebuilt transmission, new tires, new brakes and new everything involved with cooling.

i think i will clip wire 14 to keep the fan on. in essence what am i actually doing to the ircm. what am i tricking it to do?

kyle

David Neibert
07-22-2004, 11:16 AM
By cutting wire #14 you are overriding the EEC and telling the fan relay to supply low speed fan power reguardless of temp or vechile speed. If the engine gets hot enough that the EEC wants to turn on the high speed fan, it will still work. It just doesn't work as good because the relay normally shuts off the low speed circut at the same time it turns on the high speed. I drove my SC wired that way for over a year and didn't have any problems.

Some people around have grounded wire #17 which makes high speed work all the time, but starting the fan in high speed draws too many amps and can blow the fuseable link or burn up the fan motor, so don't go there.

David

porsche911
07-23-2004, 04:04 AM
I wont say that the final chapter has been written but this is how it winds down........

i pick the car up from the wrench. $74.00 later i have a failed state inspection a loud loud rattle under the hood, and he says that there was no problem to begin with!

i failed the inspection because my windshield washers wont spray. the pump buzzes and it only squirts about an inch out of the pisser. oh well i have a friend who overlooks those minor things.

the loud rattle was the ac compressor. i guess its the clutch that was rattling back and forth and making a hell of a racket. i simply unscrewed the face of the pulley and tossed it!!! voila fixed. but i can hear some noise in the SC
i
cut wire 14 to turn the fan on all the time. a very simple procedure, but one best done with a good light, those numbers are small. i taped it back together and we should be good for a while with that.

the bearing on the SC is a bit loud but still liveable for the time being. i will do a search on threads of people who have rebuilt or re-worked theirs. if you have pictures i would greatly appreciate it.

i would like to extend a six pack of cold ones to those of you that helped me. i truly appreciate it and as i learn about this car i hope to pass on to others what i learned. its what makes this board a success.

kyle