SC vs. M3

noonin86

Has anyone ever raced an M3 before? I have my 95 SC auto and my friend has a 97 M3 sedan 5-speed, so of course we want to race to see who has the fastest car on the court. Any ideas of the outcome? :confused:

I dont know the specs off the top of my head for the 97, but I know that they are quick cars. If you're stock you're probably going to get rocked!

some info i yanked from another site(last number is est 1/4 mile):
1995 BMW M3 6.2 14.6
1995 BMW M3 Lightweight 5.3 13.9
1996 BMW M3 Automatic 6.7 15.3
1996 BMW M3 Luxury 6.6 14.9
1998 BMW M3 Sedan 5.5 14.0

if your car is bone stock your running mid-high 15s. not even worth the race(unless he can't drive or runs into something)

I've played with a newer one i think 2000+ the ones with 333hp and yes he smoked me, the 97's are quick especially the 5spd's off the line you might take him but once he hits his powerband all your gonna see are tail-lights and that damn M3/// badge :D :rolleyes:

Yeah all I've done so far is removed the air silencer and mounted a K+N in its place. He's not great at driving the stick though, so that's what Im counting on hehe. :D If he lets his friend drive though, whos supposedly pretty good he'll be shoving this down my throat for a while, oh well. Once I put on my exhaust and all the other little goodies we will go again, and then those birds in the back will be staring him down. maybe :rolleyes: What mods do you think will push me ahead of his M3?

full exhaust, 3.73 trac-lok, 5%pulley, raised top and IC fan...............if u can get traction and since you have a 95 try getting the blower and inlet plenum ported.

92silverlx said:
full exhaust, 3.73 trac-lok, 5%pulley, raised top and IC fan...............if u can get traction and since you have a 95 try getting the blower and inlet plenum ported.

With the gears, can I buy a pumpkin from say a 93 SC w/ AOD then have 3.73 gears put in it, then bolt it on my 95?

noonin86 said:
With the gears, can I buy a pumpkin from say a 93 SC w/ AOD then have 3.73 gears put in it, then bolt it on my 95?

yep, any pumpkin from an 89-93 sc is equipped with the trac lok unit. while it's apart you might as well rebuild the trac loc unit too. You're also going to want to purchase either an eec tuner/tweecer, or have a chip burned for your car in order to compensate for the rear gears. My roomate had an AODE (same thing as a 4r70w)in his 95 stang and after he put in his 3.73s he destroyed his trans. He went through two more AODEs then swapped in a 5spd and never had a problem again.

92silverlx said:

You are going to need a lot more than that to smoke an M3.

i listed mods that will let him hang with an M3 or take him but not by much....now if you wanna "smoke" him try some steig heads, cam, RR's, magna port II with MP inlet or whipple, FMIC, stall, other mods i listed, 42lb injectors, 255 lph pump, intake, Pro-M maf, 75mm or bigger TB and of course a custom tune.....................h3ll some No2 to top it off :D

I own both a 91 SC and a 95 M3. The M3 wins everytime. no problem. Autox and Track. My son runs the M3 at the track while I run the SC. He usually laps me within a 20-30 session. Even though I'm usually 2-3 secs faster than him when I drive the M3. :) The M3 is way faster that the numbers say. Very good ahandling on the road course.

RussellR said:
I own both a 91 SC and a 95 M3. The M3 wins everytime. no problem. Autox and Track. My son runs the M3 at the track while I run the SC. He usually laps me within a 20-30 session. Even though I'm usually 2-3 secs faster than him when I drive the M3. :) The M3 is way faster that the numbers say. Very good ahandling on the road course.

Thats an awesome pair :eek: Me and my buddy with the M3 are going to the track wed. to see what numbers we put up.(plus I wanna test out the new exhaust :D ) His friend with a 2003 350Z is coming too, what do they usually run? And a question for anyone with the traction assist, when you launch do you have it turned on or off?

Well I went to the track just last night, it was my first time and I had a lot of fun, definetely going again next week. I made 5 runs and these were my best 2 times. What is the best R/T and 60 ft you can get?

R/T ... .301
60' ... 2.299
330 ... .000
1/8 ... 9.745
MPH ... 72.42
1000 ... 12.694
1/4 ... 15.219
MPH ... 89.13

R/T ... .140
60' ... 2.311
330 ... .000
1/8 ... 9.758
MPH ... 72.38
1000 ... 12.710
1/4 ... 15.234
MPH ... 89.15

Last edited:
All i'm gonna say is...

I OWN an SC....and when I win the lottery I'm buying an M3 :D

I can rationalize to myself cuz they rhyme...SC...M3...SC...M3

Just because no one posted be sure to turn that tracion assist OFF or it will apply the rear brakes. As far as my next car and I might be dreaming but I love 2003 -SL600 v12 turbo or the AMG55. If I got to go German, This is the way to go.

noonin86 said:
What is the best R/T and 60 ft you can get?

Best reaction time will be either a perfect .400 or .500, but be careful as some tracks will show a perfect light as .000 and -.001 anything less a red light. While some might show a perfect light as .400/.500 and .399/.499 or less red.

Most test/tune time trials will be on a .500 light for a bracket race. The "heads up" classes mostly run a .400 light.

60ft, some have got low 2.0X and dipped into the 1.9x with street tires, but for your "best" time, you will need at least a drag radial or slick. With either 1.8's or lower can be had.

SCme said:
Best reaction time will be either a perfect .400 or .500, but be careful as some tracks will show a perfect light as .000 and -.001 anything less a red light. While some might show a perfect light as .400/.500 and .399/.499 or less red.

Most test/tune time trials will be on a .500 light for a bracket race. The "heads up" classes mostly run a .400 light.

60ft, some have got low 2.0X and dipped into the 1.9x with street tires, but for your "best" time, you will need at least a drag radial or slick. With either 1.8's or lower can be had.

ok, thanks. At the track I was at I think they might have been doing the perfect light as .000. I'm not that sure though, b/c the one time I did red light the time said -.057. Do low 15's sound right for a 95 Auto w/ full exhaust(minus headers) and K+N cone filter? I just ordered a 5% pulley so maybe that could push me into the 14's.

RussellR said:

I have seen these 2 cars on a road circuit. The M3 is definatly better there. Russell would know for sure in a strait line.

HOWDY Russell. I have a cousin going to A&M now. Maybe see you there if still auto x'n.

Back