how much horse?

darriantbird

In your guys estimation how much horse power am I creating with this set up : stock engine with 3/4 raised top fast freddy double intercooler,dbl platnim spark plugs ,full exhaust 2 1/4 down pipes high flow cats, y pipe ,3 in to 80 series flowmaster 3in. in transverse two 2 1/2 in. out, K&N cone air filter. Oh and 10% overdrive.

Last edited:
What To Do ???????????????

darriantbird said:
In your guys estimation how much horse power am I creating with this set up : stock engine with 3/4 raised top fast freddy double intercooler,dbl platnim spark plugs ,full exhaust 2 1/4 down pipes high flow cats, y pipe ,3 in to 80 series flowmaster 3in. in transverse two 2 1/2 in. out, K&N cone air filter. Oh and 10% overdrive.
:eek: :eek: 20 TO 30 HIGH .... :confused: :confused: :confused: 20 TO 15 LOW :cool: :cool:

I say 40 to 50 more ponies! The top is suppose to be 25hp, the exhaust which i have done is suppose to be 25 ponies also without headers (with headers its suppose to be 50 more ponies). The 10% overdrive which i also have and removing the air silencer felt like 50 more!!! How many really im not sure i dont have not dynoed it. Do the exhaust first (im sure youve heard so you dont blow the headgaskets from the additional p.s.i. boost). These cars are bad ***. I have a 68' Cougar thats my real racer that runs 12's. If i could go back in time i would of bought a SC then and made that a 12 sec. car.
Good Luck!

FastBird91 said:
I say 40 to 50 more ponies! The top is suppose to be 25hp, the exhaust which i have done is suppose to be 25 ponies also without headers (with headers its suppose to be 50 more ponies). The 10% overdrive which i also have and removing the air silencer felt like 50 more!!!
Good Luck!

Get a grip.

Now being that you didnt mention whether you had an 89-93(210hp) or 94-95.(230hp), this whole post is worthless.

That being said...

raised top. (5hp)
double ic (10hp)
plugs (0hp)
exhaust(10hp)
k&n (3hp)
10% (10hp)

So..... 35-40hp more I would guess Max.

Its an 89 and seat of the pants feels 35hp but when I cranked her up it seems like it pulled well until I hit the rev limiter on the hi way,the boost was pined at 15lbs(she has no air leaks at all) and I was racing a 04 intimater monty ss. BTW I roasted him! so I am wondering don,t those have the old GP GTP motor ? I thought those were rated at 260 HP.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They may be 200hp out of the Chevy 3.8, but they are wrong wheel drive as well. From a stop you should insult it, moving you should kill it.

The GTP's are quick, don't race one yet. Unless the ones I have raced are modded, which I assume they are too an extent.

You are getting to where the car is damn fun to drive though! I don't know about the 40hp, but I bet you are "feeling" more than that in torque. And I LOVE torque!

Get a 95 blower or MP unit and you will be walking over most cars.

Think again "sweetSC"

According to the "Manumpowers" website, a raised top will give you 20 (thats TWENTY) more horse power with the raised top with the exhaust mods. and 15 without the exhaust mods. Being "Darriantbird" is going to improve exhaust flow its going to be 20 more horses not 5 like you say "sweetSC".
Think again.

T-bird4vr said:
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They may be 200hp out of the Chevy 3.8, but they are wrong wheel drive as well. From a stop you should insult it, moving you should kill it.

The GTP's are quick, don't race one yet. Unless the ones I have raced are modded, which I assume they are too an extent.

You are getting to where the car is damn fun to drive though! I don't know about the 40hp, but I bet you are "feeling" more than that in torque. And I LOVE torque!

Get a 95 blower or MP unit and you will be walking over most cars.
http://www.chevrolet.com/monte_carlo/#5 Scroll to bottom of page ss supercharged

FastBird91 said:
According to the "Manumpowers" website, a raised top will give you 20 (thats TWENTY) more horse power with the raised top with the exhaust mods. and 15 without the exhaust mods. Being "Darriantbird" is going to improve exhaust flow its going to be 20 more horses not 5 like you say "sweetSC".
Think again.

Don't believe everything you read....If I added up all the HP claims for the mods I have, I would be running with about 800 HP.

IMO Chris' (sweetSC) numbers are pretty close except I would only give the K&N 1 HP and increase the 10% pulley to 15 HP.

David

WELL I did not know the approximate horse power increases for any of the pieces I put on my Bird, but ,when I built my mudtang gt years ago I went by adding up the total and dividing by 33% and it was damned close to the dyno numbers(I used to know a place with a dyno 12 years ago) if I get good numbers for these pieces the formula should be close but it is supercharged , well becuase I beat the ss supercharged and is rated at 240 Horse I'd say I am past that!

darriantbird said:
...well becuase I beat the ss supercharged and is rated at 240 Horse I'd say I am past that!

We have greater torque than they do...so we can accelerate faster off the line. The real test is to go to the 1/4 strip and race that car. Whoever has the faster et has more torque...the faster mph has more hp.

Most of the "rated" hp increase of the mods you can buy are rated with complementing mods...roller rockers for example...they do a little to reduce friction and lighten the valve train, but their rated 12-15 hp potential won't be realized until they are bolted onto a good set of heads because of the short turn radius in the exhaust ports...

Thanks T-bird 4,I was disappointed though I thought he would give me a better fight ! And 007 I do realize that my heads and throttle body, intake and such need to breathe a bit more to get the numbers out of my "new" parts I've got some work to do for sure. The two 1st things on my agenda though is the front suspension(age of car) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and a BHJ balancer since I have broken 2 balancers in one month since I bolted on my hi-po parts!

FastBird91 said:
Think again.

Please !! :rolleyes:

As David mentioned, don't believe everything you read. I have dynoed before and after each mod, after the raised top I got 3 rwhp....that's it!

In fact, I personally don't know of anyone with a modded SC that got 25 HP out of a raised top. Why don't you ask the guys who have dynoed their cars and see if any of them gained that much Hp from the raised top......I don't think you will find much, if any at all.

Back