Speaker wiring question

derekhay316

Just takin out the stock jbl front speakers and puttin in some alpine 6x9's. Just wondering which wires are negative and which are positive. On the drivers side theres a orange w/ green wire and a lt blue w/ white wire. ON the passenger side theres white w/ lt green and a dk green orange wire. Also is there a stock amp that these are connected to also? Thanks.

I'm not sure, but I think on most speakers, if you are holding them face down, the pos. is on the right and neg. is on the left. Hope this helps.

David

Assuming you didn't cut the clips off, the side with the clip lock/notch, is the negative side. Also, you aren't gunna get 6x9's to fit, already tried it here, big clearance issues for both the door panel and window glass. Stick with the 5x7 or 6x8.

WEll I couldn't tell you which is which, but heres a suggestion, go to walmart, buy plug in adaptor, then you can see which is +/- then just take the adaptor back, either that or it really doesn't make a difference which is plus and minus for speakers as long as they are all the same.

And although the guy above me says 6x9s won't fit, I disagree here they are
paneloff.jpg

panelon.jpg

Only trick is you need to take off the cloth cover on your door panel and chop it up a little bit, also to prevent window issues, I put a 1/4 inch nylon washer behind each screw on the speakers so that there is space, I've got infinity kappas in there they are pretty fat speakers I think theres about 3 inches to work with back there so whatever your speakers are get a nylon washer with the right depth to make up for the fatness of your speaker good luck :)

yeah I cut that in there, haven't gotten around to making a new panel for behind the door handle though so now I just have an ugly cut up stock one.

I was under the impression that if you had speaker wires crossed, neg. on pos. side, that the bass wouldn't be as good as if they are pos. to pos. and so on.

David

If you wire the speakers backwards you will have the signal 180 out of phase. Most people won't hear this as long as all the speakers are wired in this manner. It's not good practice.

If you use a battery to pulse the speakers you will see that when the speaker is wired correctly the speaker will move out, if it is wired backwards it will move in (to the magnet). Hook them up correctly.

Also you should always seal the speaker around the entire periphery. Not sealing it will cause the rear wave to cancel the front wave and you will loose the midbass. Use 1/4" MDF or particle board and make a spacer for the speaker if the magnet is too close to the window.

Jeff

I've got the base system speakers in mine, but I'm getting ready to put some JBLs from the JBL system in it. I shouldn't have any problems with clearance should I?

I don't have the amp or subs, but the Pioneer head unit has a built in amp. I hope the JBLs will sound better than the base system speakers sound.

David

Okay, so 6x9 will fit with modifications to the door panel and proper spacing. You also have a 89-93 interior. Try that with the newer interior and a pair of kenwoods oversized 7x10 speakers. Woulding fit in back or front. Heck, I barely got my Polk momo's to fit right, and I've been installing for about 6yrs now.

Back