coolant problems long

c.kell

Hi, first of all, sorry for my english mistakes, i speak french ;)

I have an automatic 95 V6 mustang with all the supercharger setup from a 1990 t-bird sc.

When the coolant goes into the overflow tank, it not returns into the radiator...so after some rides, the recovery tank spills out and it begins to missed coolant in the system.

Weird thing : I can see when the thermostat is opening because the temp on my temp gauge suddenly drop to "cold", to returns to normal and drop again...no overheating or white smoke
and a headgasket job was done last year ( since 3000 miles ).

I change the radiator pressure cap and the thermostat, no result...
I did a pressure test and everything seems to be good... :confused:

Another thing ( maybe its just a coincidence ), the fluid in my tranny passed into the radiator and it seems to become very hot because the shifts are most longer when i run the car for a moment...( ?? )

Before to going out my car for this summer ( with no supercharger ), all the coolant system works good and the tranny too...

Please help me ! I didn't run my car this summer because of these problems :(

Last edited:
So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. You have a coolant leak somewhere? If so, find the leak first. It might be your radiator. If it's bubbling back up into the overflow tank, then it might be headgaskets or a plugged radiator (stopped up). As far as the transmission fluid leaking into the coolant, how do you know that it is again? Because it is hot?

And don't get too frustrated by the language barrier, I'm sure someone on here will have to patience to solve your problem. If you don't succeed at first, try rewording and see if that helps.

thanx for your reply, but you didn't understand correctly :p

I have no coolant leak. The coolant that spills out come from my overflow tank ( by the 2 littles holes under the cap ) because the level up but never drop even if the car is cold.

The transmission problem is an hesitation in the shifts when it become hot. I think that it just be a coincidence. No leak of tranny fluid.

Oh, okay, if you are spilling coolant through the cap on the overflow, then it might be (from what I've read in the past) headgaskets. But, from experience with another car that I had, it turned out to be a plugged radiator. I was on an interstate and I overheated a little bit. So, I pulled over, turned the heat on high (to make the coolant go through the heater core) and it stopped spilling out of the top of the overflow tank and the level went down. Your thermostat might be opening, but if your radiator is plugged, then there will be no flow. I would suggest that the next time you have it running put the heat on when it looks like it's going to overflow. If the level goes down, then I would take out your radiator and replace it through radiatorexpress.com. If you buy one through the ad on e-bay, you'll save some money. If the level does not go down, then I would assume it would be headgaskets. Have you accomplished a leak down test? I think the procedures are in the manual. I am not sure if it's the same as the pressure test that you had mentioned you had accomplished, but if not, it would be another thing to try. I have heard of headgasket jobs not being done correctly and having to be done again in as little as 1000 miles. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I am just repeating some of what I remember I have read over the years. Mabye someone with more experience in the matter will respond. I hope that this helps.

Coolant is pulled back out of the overflow tank by the vacuum created as the hot coolant cools off. If you have any kind of leak in your cooling system, this vacuum can't build and the fluid won't get pulled out of the tank. So you might not have seen the leak, or it could be internal, but you can be pretty sure there is a leak somewhere. Check the simple things first, the radiator cap is the usual cause - the wrong type of cap, or dirt/damage to the sealing surfaces on the radiator neck.

ok thanx,
when I put the supercharger in, I install the water pump ( used ) from the t-bird engine...

do you think that it could be a faulty water pump ?

Back