Question about blower snout rebuild.

Darkside

To anybody who has ever rebuilt the snout on your supercharger:

I know the front bearing seats in the snout against the ledge. Does the rear bearing seat against the ledge opposite the front bearing? How far does the drive sit away from the snout housing? This probably doesn't make any sense. It's hard to explain what I need to know. If anybody has any pics that would help.

Darkside said:
To anybody who has ever rebuilt the snout on your supercharger:

I know the front bearing seats in the snout against the ledge. Does the rear bearing seat against the ledge opposite the front bearing? How far does the drive sit away from the snout housing? This probably doesn't make any sense. It's hard to explain what I need to know. If anybody has any pics that would help.

Hopefully this helps, its got a few pics I took about 2 weeks ago

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48102

Just finished mine last weekend. The snout was a bit of a pain because you have to press the front bearing into the snout and then assemble the driveshaft with the rear bearing and the aluminum drive. Then that assembly gets pressed into the snout and it was pressing the front bearing back out. I went back and forth a few times.

What I did for the "depth" was to measure the distance from the front mating surface of the rotors to the drive pins that mate with the coupler. For my '95 supercharger I think it was 5/8". So I made sure that the coupler was 5/8" from the rear of the snout. It all went back together just fine. The rear bearing was pretty much seated fully into the snout. The back of the bearing wasn't quite flush with the snout, but it was close.

Which way does the coupler go? I can't believe I blanked out so bad on how this thing came apart. :eek: So you can still see the rear snout bearing when the shaft is installed correctly? I'm such a dumbass. :( :rolleyes: Is there anything that sits in the snout between the front and rear bearings? The reason I ask this is because I have this spring that is about 1 1/2 tall and about 1 1/2 in diameter. That doesn't go in there does it?

If you're using the stock coupler, I'm not sure. I used a solid plastic one made to replace the stock one, so I didn't really pay attention to how it came out.

Yes, I could still see the rear bearing after installation.

The spring goes on the driveshaft infront of the rear bearing. I too forgot to install that when we started assembling the snout...I did end up putting it in. Although I understand that not all superchargers had that spring. I have no verification of that, but I've heard that. I'd re-install it to be safe.

Darkside said:
Which way does the coupler go? I can't believe I blanked out so bad on how this thing came apart. :eek: So you can still see the rear snout bearing when the shaft is installed correctly? I'm such a dumbass. :( :rolleyes: Is there anything that sits in the snout between the front and rear bearings? The reason I ask this is because I have this spring that is about 1 1/2 tall and about 1 1/2 in diameter. That doesn't go in there does it?

Sounds like its the spring from inside the coupler, just try to work it back in there you'll know when you have it right because the coils will sit in the center of the assembly. As for orientation, I put the side with the 3 holes towards the snout.

DMX said:
Sounds like its the spring from inside the coupler, just try to work it back in there you'll know when you have it right because the coils will sit in the center of the assembly. As for orientation, I put the side with the 3 holes towards the snout.

Look at the size of the spring...The coupler spring is much smaller...

Back