Dyno Ture

Super XR7

Dyno Tune

Going to for a dyno tune tommorrow morning and just thought that I should ask you guys what should I do if anything to the car to get it ready. Anything special to the gas except high test?

Mike Tuck

Last edited:
Tune it with the octane of gas you normally buy. Fresh plugs would also help, but aren't manditory. I assume your getting a chip...who's doing the tuning ?

David

David Neibert said:
Tune it with the octane of gas you normally buy. Fresh plugs would also help, but aren't manditory. I assume your getting a chip...who's doing the tuning ?

David

Thanks for the reply, the car is being tuned by Jerry Wroblewski (father of the Jerry Mod). He works with Super Chips Kustom and is coming to east Tennessee for a tuning session (7 am to 9 pm tommorrow).
Yes the motor has been recently rebuilt and needing a computer tune for the mods. I have a EEC tuner but am considering selling it for the more reliable chip.

Mike Tuck

Last edited:
I have a EEC tuner but am considering selling it for the more reliable chip.

Good idea...I ditched the EEC tuner when Jerry first tuned my car a couple years ago. The tuner has very flimsy contacts and didn't have half of the tuning parameters that Jerry's little black box provided. I've had the chip on and off at least another 25 times for more tuning by Brian Herron (aka FastSC) and never had a problem once with loosing the program or loose connections.

David

Having the chip on and off 25 times must have been a pretty big PITA given the location of the EEC module. I've probably reprogrammed my EEC tuner that many times, but I only installed it once. ;)

Anyway in answer to the original question, if you have an automatic, you should take it out on an empty road and practice accelerating in "D". The trick is knowing how much gas you can give it, and at how low an RPM, so that the transmission won't downshift into 2nd. This will be the challenge on the dyno, since you can't get a valid reading if the car keeps jumping down into 2nd, but you want to get as much of the RPM range in "D" as possible.

you could probably disconnect your transmission cable (or tv cable i think it's called), which will make it hard for the AOD to downshift into 2nd-

tv cable

Do not disconnect your tv cable, it provides line pressure for the transmission based on throttle position. You run risk of burning up the tranny by disconnecting!

yea, I'm a part of the SCT team. That's why I live in Florida now instead of STL.

You don't want to pull the TV cable, it will hurt the trans.

Back