Oil Oil and more OIL

Tony SC

undefinedOil :( Hi all,newbie here, just bought my first ford and what a start. I have a
1990 super coupe 5spd. i have an oil leak from hell. It is running all the way down part of the exaust. Mainly at or around the oil pan. The car was fine when i bought it. I got the oil changed put 5w30 in and that is when the leak began. It was 1 week later when the engine went almost dry even after 4 quarts that i put in durring that week. Help Please, any one have this problem? Could it be the rear crank bearing? synthetic oil prior, some censor or lines that are notorius for going. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
My guess is that your motor mounts are bad and allowed the engine to sit lower and rub a hole in the oil pan. Yours wouldn't be the first car it's happened to.

David

Other common leaks are the valve covers, the oil pressure sending unit (just above the oil pump) and the pan where the high pressure power steering line runs under the pan (as Dave mentioned).

Jeff

Are you sure they tightened the oil filter when they changed it. I've also heard of the oring from the old filter getting stuck on the filter head and when the new filter is installed it doesn't seal properly. Since the oil is under pressure going thru the filter it could leak pretty bad.

David

J57ltr said:
Other common leaks are the valve covers, the oil pressure sending unit (just above the oil pump) and the pan where the high pressure power steering line runs under the pan (as Dave mentioned).

Jeff

Any idea of the oil pressure sending unit would run oil over the exhaust manifold. and burn off?.. or would that just be the valve cover gasket

Karl

Probably not likely, there is a cover over the body of the sender and it usually leaks under there and runs down the oil pump area. I had this happen and thought the oil pump was leaking. I couldn't see the leak either I ended up removing the sender and plugging it with a 1/8" NPT plug before I found the leak.

Valve covers will leak onto the exhaust manifolds. They are almost always loose.

Jeff

update

The motor mounts are just about shot. i see that the oil pan towards the front has fresh scrapes on it. This is my problem I think. i juess it could be worse, like no engine.

My valve cover gaskets could use a tightening to.

How much should i expect to pay to take it in and get the mounts changed and the pan replaced?

More than it would cost to buy a good used SC. Seriously...take it to one of those spray car washes and bring a small jack along to lift the car up enough to wash the oil off with hot soapy water. They verify where the leak is coming from before taking it to a shop.

If the pan is leaking, buy a used one from someone on the boards and find a shop that will drop the K member to change it and the mounts at the same time. The alternative is pulling the engine.

David

Like David Neibert said, check the filter to make sure the seal from the old filter didn't come off and was stuck to the mounting area when the new filter was put on. I've seen this happen and it wil leak like crazy. Good luck!!!

David

yes spraying the car off was put on the agenda for tomarow. and im shure that it is not the filter. Thanks for the help let you know what I find out. The only thing is that the car does not want to hold oil long enough to drive it so i will do it at home with my dads new power washer. I hope i can pin point it.

David Neibert said:
Are you sure they tightened the oil filter when they changed it. I've also heard of the oring from the old filter getting stuck on the filter head and when the new filter is installed it doesn't seal properly. Since the oil is under pressure going thru the filter it could leak pretty bad.

David

In my case it all leaked out in a matter of 2 minutes, 5 quarts of oil in the garage... :-/

You probably do have a crack in the oil pan, but.. just some extra food for thought. My friends rear main seal went and he was losing LOTS of oil out of nowhere, it happened after an oil change as well. check near your bellhousing to be safe.

Putting synthetic oil in a high mileage engine that has never had synthetic in it can can cause you rear main seal to fail. That's why a lot of people say their cars started leaking after an oil change.

I am taking it in to a shop to see what they can do for me. Still not sure what it is for certain. Hope there is not more bad news on top of it. Thanks for the replys. I hope that the person before me did not put the synthetic oil in. That will suck! It does have 135,000 on it with a rebuilt trans and new cluch along with a rebuilt supercharger. It is in great shape for a Michigan car. I got it for $ 2,000.

Back