High Idle Speed in 1992 T-Bird

sidorg

Every so often, my 1992 T-Bird begins idling very fast. It doesn't do it all the time, but enough that it gets annoying. If I turn off the car, and restart it, it usually goes back to normal idle.

I read a post on a car site saying that such a problem may be causing by a
'throttle modulator valve'. Here's the link to that article. http://www.autoparts4ford.com/troubleshooting/answers/id-14407.html

Where exactly is the throttle modulator valve? Is it near on the air cleaner? Or is it on the opposite end of the air duct?

Also, in a possibly related issue, when I accerelate moderately or more, if I have A/C or vent on, the air coming from the main vents starts coming out the the defrost vents. When I ease up on the accellerator, the air comes out of the vents normally.

Thanks for any help.

George

Is your cruise control currently working? I had a similar problem with my old 90 model and it was casued by a HUGE vac leak. I fixed it and all was well. I asked about the cruise control because when it quits (suddenly) your vac leak should be large enough to hear. If your cruise is working you might try getting some b-12 chemtool from the parts store and spraying it (fairly heavily) around all the usual spots for a vac leak. If the motor revs you found your leak. Just a guess but it has been the case in the past

Back