Need Help Please Upshift Light On!!!!

wingrg

SC 1989 / 5 speed , The last week the car wont start, crank well, I notice that the upshift light stay on went crank, I check the pulley bolt is in place, I decide to change the cranksensor not a bad idea to replace anyway one day have to be replace, but the car wont start anyway and the upshift light continue to stay on. I see one part aroun the pulley that its loose i dont know if it the balancer but it loose i can turn around this part without move the pulley, this is my problem i have to replace that part?

Attachments

• Balancer.JPG
    Balancer.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the club......

You have been bitten by the broken balancer gremlin. This is a common problem on these cars (I broke three before I installed a BHJ balancer). There is a lot of info on the BBS about this problem, everything from "why it happens" to "how to repair". You can repair this yourself if you have a decent set of tools and some moderate experience in working on cars (or a little courage). I didn't have the tools or experience the first time I did mine (or the courage either for that matter), but I am stubborn enough to believe I can figure anything out... If you take your time, follow the instructions you find on this site, and seek assistance when you run into a snag, you will be able to do this... One suggestion.... get a BHJ steel balancer if you can spare the $$, or get a new stock balancer...DO NOT install a used one, no matter what anyone tells you...unless you want to do this again real soon....

You'll see when you remove the pulley that the balancer has probably cracked flush with the timing chain cover. The fun part is getting the part that stays on the crankshaft off.
Get your drill ready. :(

i used an 1/8 drill bit and drilled into the broken piece stuck on the crank , i drilled about 6 holes about an 1 1/2 inches deep until it quit going in then ran a sheet metal bolt in to crack it in half then it pulled right out , lol ive done it twice now i ordered a good bhj

Last edited:
Back