Motor mount bolt stuck, could I just replace drivers side?

TBone95

I'm putting in solid mounts and the last bolt in the block on the pass. side is hopelessly stuck. Could I just get away with putting a solid mount on the drivers side? That looks to be the important side anyway.

Both sides are in very good shape, I just wanted to put in solids while it was torn down. Im gonna try to take out the bolt that holds the bracket to the mount itself and see if I can take out the bottom half and slip a solid mount back in. I really dont want to drill that bolt out, I dunno if I can do it without pulling the engine.

Thanks,
Travis

You're going to want the same type on both sides.

To get the one towards the rear of the engine on the passenger side you need to get some extra leverage. Try and get a longer wrench or use some conduit to create a longer wrench.

Here is a picture of the tools I had to use to get at that one. I used a deep well socket with a 3" extension on a 3/8 ratchet that has a flexible head. I snuck it around behind the left hand side of the mount and then cranked down on it. It finally came loose.

PassMMandtools.jpg

I got that one already, the one Im having trouble with is the closer one. Ive tried just about everything and it wont budge, and now its pretty much rounded off. Im gonna try to take off that top nut and see if i can replace it that way. Otherwise Ill probably just leave it stock or try drilling that bastard if I feel ambitous.

Are you working with 12 point or 6 point sockets? If you're using 12 point, stop, and get some 6 point sockets.

I would throw factory liquid ones in there if you can't get the passenger side out. Just make sure the movement restricting block on the drivers side is still in place to help protect that side from execess motion.

Yea Ive been using 6-point. Ive already cracked one socket and destroyed 2 adapters on this thing already. Im gonna get the right size wrench for that top nut today and see how that goes, otherwise I'll just leave it be.

If you're talking about that great big nut that holds the mount to the bracket, you have to clamp it in a vise to take that one off.. thats supposed to be done off the car. But yeah, that one is tight. I had mine in a workmate bench and I think I used a breaker bar on it. :)

Back