Harmonic Balancer Question. Helpppp!!!!

wingrg

I found that the harmonic balancer is broke, If this part is broke the car can't start or crank and start fine? Because i found this changing my crank sensor, the car crank well but not start and the da@n upshift light continue goes on during cranking after i change the crank sensor, I only want make sure what part to buy, I don't want to contonue wasting money. I see in some post there talking about a "0" balancer, What the "heck" is that, what type of balancer i need for my 1989 SC/ 5 Speed? I'm little upset with this Da@n car, Please help me to love my car again.
Thanks!

Replacing the balancer is not a tough job, as long as it's still in one piece. If it is broken, it can be a nightmare. If you have a stock motor, then a stock balancer is more than sufficient, if you can find one that doesn't cost an arm & leg.

The sensor ring is bolted to the back of the balancer, and a wobbly balancer can really screw with the running of your motor.

Thanks for the advice. Thats mean my upshift light trouble could be the broken balancer, because i replace the crank sensor and the light continue to goes on.

wingrg said:
I found that the harmonic balancer is broke, If this part is broke the car can't start or crank and start fine? Because i found this changing my crank sensor, the car crank well but not start and the da@n upshift light continue goes on during cranking after i change the crank sensor, I only want make sure what part to buy, I don't want to contonue wasting money. I see in some post there talking about a "0" balancer, What the "heck" is that, what type of balancer i need for my 1989 SC/ 5 Speed? I'm little upset with this Da@n car, Please help me to love my car again.
Thanks!

If your balancer is broken it will absolutely cause a "no start" condition for a few different reasons depending how it is broken. Is the center bolt holding the balancer on also broken? If so your balancer could have walked forward enough to not engage the timing vanes with the sensor. If it wobbles it could have already wiped out your new sensor. Do a search, there is a lot of info on this problem and how to fix it.
The 3.8 SC engine is internally balanced and requires a "zero" or neutral balancer. Also the pulley should be balanced to the balancer, that is why stock Ford balancers come as a set with a pulley. If you decide to go with a used balancer, make sure you get the pulley with it. A used balancer is not recommended because once it has been taken off most of the proper fit is lost because the center part is made of aluminum which will then will cause the bolt to break again. Good luck, John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
If your balancer is broken it will absolutely cause a "no start" condition for a few different reasons depending how it is broken. Is the center bolt holding the balancer on also broken? If so your balancer could have walked forward enough to not engage the timing vanes with the sensor. If it wobbles it could have already wiped out your new sensor. Do a search, there is a lot of info on this problem and how to fix it.
The 3.8 SC engine is internally balanced and requires a "zero" or neutral balancer. Also the pulley should be balanced to the balancer, that is why stock Ford balancers come as a set with a pulley. If you decide to go with a used balancer, make sure you get the pulley with it. A used balancer is not recommended because once it has been taken off most of the proper fit is lost because the center part is made of aluminum which will then will cause the bolt to break again. Good luck, John

get a bhj is cheaper on the long run.

Back