codes???

95scred

my check engine light keeps coming on and then going off sometimes it is only on for like 20 seconds. when i pull the codes i get 214 and 668. it has pulled 214 before and neve rmade the check engine light come on, but the 668 is new. does anyone know what that code means ???

code668

95scred said:
my check engine light keeps coming on and then going off sometimes it is only on for like 20 seconds. when i pull the codes i get 214 and 668. it has pulled 214 before and neve rmade the check engine light come on, but the 668 is new. does anyone know what that code means ???

According to my Haynes code book code 668 is Transmission Range circuit voltage above maximum voltage.

214 is the cylinder identification failure. Which means replace the cam sensor. The haynes manual will tell you to set the #1 cylinder to 26 degrees BTDC, but you don't have to do that. Just replace it. My helms manual confirmed that. I'm not sure about the code 668. I had the intermittent check engine light for only a 214 code. After you replace the cam sensor, make sure to clear your codes.

Michael - I've just duplicated a thread about code #214. But when I had that before (about 2 years ago) it turned out to be a cracked plug. With the cam sensor (I also replaced that on my '93 about 6 months ago - because the tach needle was swinging wildly), I never got any codes. Did your 'check light' stay on all the time with 214 and, the car shake violently at idle?

Michael Mattix said:
214 is the cylinder identification failure. Which means replace the cam sensor. The haynes manual will tell you to set the #1 cylinder to 26 degrees BTDC, but you don't have to do that. Just replace it. My helms manual confirmed that. I'm not sure about the code 668. I had the intermittent check engine light for only a 214 code. After you replace the cam sensor, make sure to clear your codes.

whar exactly do u mean by the tach swining widely? my tach will work fine sometimes and other times it just drops to zero. my car also has a rough idle i also get an ocasional buck while driving, but all of this is intermitant. i tried replacing the cam senser when i fisrt got the car and it didnt fix anything so i put the factory one back in.

Jim,
I understand that, but since he has a 95, I figured the problem/fix would be more like mine than most other people on here. I have read most other posts on this failure and if the description wasn't like mine they usually had a SC that was 89-93. I would try a search on here for the other code. Maybe it will fix everything.

The consensus seems to be to replace the cam sensor. Based upon the feedback from my other thread, that is what I'm going to do for my '94 with code #214 problems. The tach. swinging wildly was on my '93 - it was like a bad speedo cable, if you know what I mean. A cam sensor fixed that. If you are not getting a consistent "check engine" light, just code 214 when you scan, I'd check the plugs for hair cracks in the insulator. It's very easy to crack one of these, because access to the plugs is so difficult when tightening them. That was my experience a year or so ago. Now it's much different, the car bucks at idle and the engine light stays on all the time.

Code 668

95scred said:
anyone have any idea how to fix that ??

DTC 668
Transmission Range circuit voltage above maximum voltage

There is no easy or direct answer to your question, but if you can, go to www.AllData.com and search on 668 DTC, there is a detailed list of links that you can follow to diagnose the problem.
Good luck.

Back