PDA

View Full Version : New mods and older maxima kept up with me???

SC90_Pete
07-24-2004, 07:06 PM
I just had my exhaust installed and I hooked up my SCP 3" intake and went out to dinner with the girlfriend. On our way home, this kid in a ugly older maxima, i think around a 98 with a system pounding pulled up next to us. I wanted to test out how the mods improved my 90 SC so I gunned it and I was shocked to see that the maxima kept up behind me!!!! :eek: :eek: I checked out the stats on the maxima and it only has 190 hp w/ 205tq, but it weighs 3014. Would the vast difference in weight explain why he could stay on my ***? Hopefully when I install my 5% pulley I won't have that problem anymore.

ThunderDave
07-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I think the weight difference and the ract that you don't have your pulley on yet are what allowed him to keep up. After I had my exhaust done, it felt slower than before. When I got the 5% pulley put on, it felt a lot quicker. Get your pulley on and then go find that Maxima.

David

JStudrawa
07-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I think the weight difference and the ract that you don't have your pulley on yet are what allowed him to keep up. After I had my exhaust done, it felt slower than before. When I got the 5% pulley put on, it felt a lot quicker. Get your pulley on and then go find that Maxima.

David

Didn't some rare Maxima's have the Z engine setup in them?

SCollord90
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Doesn't seem right...I raped my friends older Maxima by like 2 or more car lengths when my '90 was bone stock.

David Neibert
07-26-2004, 07:16 AM
If it's a v6 Maxima they are pretty quick. BTW, adding the exhaust and intake probably only increased your HP by about 15, and IMO only helps at higher rpms (above 4500). The overdrive pulley is something your going to feel "seat of the pants" and will probably add just as much power.

David

SC90_Pete
07-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. At first I was embarrassed but now not so much ;)

SCYALTR
07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. At first I was embarrassed but now not so much ;)

Hey Man,
So Sorry to burst your bubble about these cars, they are excellent on long road trips, and run like hell when you have spent several thousands of $$$$ on mods. The SC is a nice cruzer but not the light to light drag racer that we would all hope they would be. Don't get me wrong, I will own my SC until it is just a pile of rust sitting in my backyard as a pretty planter for my Tulips. It is hard to part with a car that has such classic lines and packs a nice whalup for small price.
I guess I am just trying to say, don't be surprised to see many newer V6 or 4cyl cars pass you by or stay with you while you are mashed on the gas.
Laterz,
D Rainer

SC90_Pete
07-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Well the pulley was installed and now the car pulls much harder at higher speeds. To the guy who replied above, you are absolutely right. I shouldn't expect a 0-60 monster out of a 4000lb car with a ford slush box. I can dream can't I???? :)