I have question I am Rebuilding my Front Supension.

m4machine

:confused: I am rebuilding my my car one pice at a time. I am a very good weekend mechanic. Right now I am doing the front supension and I will like to know:
How do you brake off the tabs from the bolts from the upperarms?
:confused: That big bolt that connects the tension strut to the lower control arm what do you need to remove it? I dont have anything big enough to go around it. What do I need to buy?
:confused: The front spring shock assembly, is it built like a front wheel drive strut? Will it go so far that I dont need a spring compressor to hold it in place to remove the lower control arm? I have change a front wheel drive strut and a replace a spring from a 81 olds one some time ago.

Can Some one help me???

Last edited:
i find it easier to let the tabs on and just turn the nut on the other end ,

no you wont need a spring compressor to take the strut off the car just dont loosen the middle nut on top , im guessing about 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 socket to fit that nut on the lower control arm i think i also used a 15 inch cresent wrench before also

For the tension strut use large adjustable wrenches, one for the nut and one for the flat area of the tension strut (place the wrench as near as possible to the lower control arm). For more leverage I used 2 ft. long pipes on the arms of the adjustable wrenches.

Back