AIC Question

SCXR7Cougar

Iac Question

I have read several posts that make me believe that I also have an IAC problem. I have high rpms and a "noise" when I shut down the car. I don't want to take my manual outside to my car since it is drizzling right now.
My main question is that I have read in my manual about an Air Bypass Valve. Is this the same as the IAC? I haven't seen any reference to an IAC. :confused: I do realize I need a ford replacement only and the gasket too for this is the problem.

Thanks for this forum. This has been a big help for me to learn more about my car which is a 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 SC, 5 speed. I've had it a few years but it's starting to puzzle me lately. I want my cat to quit "growling" at me. lol

Last edited:
Just to add a little to the discussion. Idle Air control Valve (IAC, IACV) is GM-latin. Idle Air Bypass Valve (IABV) is Fordese for the item that serves the same function, in a different manner, as the IAC.

Thanks for the help! I wanted to be sure I was looking at the right parts under the hood. I saw another "thread" that had posted detailed pictures which was very helpful!

Thanks for all the help! I just got off the phone with Dan Newman, ordering the Air Bypass Valve plus gasket. I saw the Joe Cooper Ford advertised on this website. Nice to know that I have a good source for Ford parts for my 1990. I can afford to wait a few days and save $30.00+ dollars too! :)

Back