clunking noise like something wants to fall off

jnobles

I have replaced almost all the front end except the strut rod front bushings. I even tightened the sub frame bolts..the only other thing i can figure is the shock itself...if it is bad will make a clunking noise...

Last edited:
Did you replace/check the sway bar end links? They are the biggest noise offender on an SC. Sometimes it is hard to make them move with a prybar, but in the end, they are very often bad. They rattle like the whole front end is going to cave in....

XR7 Dave said:
Did you replace/check the sway bar end links? They are the biggest noise offender on an SC. Sometimes it is hard to make them move with a prybar, but in the end, they are very often bad. They rattle like the whole front end is going to cave in....
i have replace everything from the inner tie rod out...including the sway bar end links..

im thinking lower contol arm bushings go bad a lot on mine or maybe brake caliper bushings the shock could rattle too

I was getting a clunking noise in the rear end everytime I went over bumps. I checked for leaking shock worn attachment points, etc. Nothing was sticking out as being wrong. Well, I replaced the shocks and no more clunking! Made me SO happy!

Maybe

Check the upper shock retaining nut. The big one on top of the shock itself. You'll have to remove the arc actuater bracket and jam nut; also don't jack the car up, leave it on the wheels. Once you get the arc stuff off, sit on the fender and see if you can move the top of the shock.
This happened to me when I rebuilt my front end.

good luck
Bob

Back