Starters and heat, or is it something else...

darkstar_one

hey, well at first i got towed him because my starter died out on me. It would give the symptoms that it was gonna die, and bam at a gas station, 40 bucks to tow it home, 10 miles away. Well now that i have this other starter, it starting to give the symptoms also, its hard to start, u turn the key to crank and nothing, after holding about for 3 or 4 seconds it will crank, or sometimes u try to crank it 3 or 4 times also and it will crank. Well i dont see the UPSHIFT light stay on, is it the heat that is killing my starters, or something else, i mean the starter i put on was from a 89 LX and it looked stock, is it the starter or should i get a brand new one from AUTOZONE? thanx

i think im having the same problem it starts fine in the morning but if i drive it for a little while let it sit in the heat it wont start i can hear it clicking but wont turn over sometimes it will take 3-4 times before it starts other times ive been stranded for 30min
im thinking its the cheap starters cause i will put one in it will be fine for a couple months then start acting up
all i know is its a PITA

How are your battery cables?
They tend to rot out over time.
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad negative battery cable. (And this was when the car only had 64,000 miles on it.

Could also be a weak or dying battery. (I've had new ones die within 6 months, Sears diehard no less).

Also, try taking all the connections off the solenoid near the windshield washer reservoir, and clean them up. (Again, they get corroded). :)

yeah i never thought of the neg cable going bad but i did run all new wires to the battery on the pos side im getting ready to redo the stereo in the car and will replace the cables then thanks

Back