JBL radio problems fix

By By BlackBird

Just a heads up commentary for those of you having problems with your JBL dash units (originals or junkyard pulls) and just want to keep it original. I had purchased several used radio/tapedecks and remote CD players only to be disappointed to find them dead or not functioning properly. While continuing my search I joined the Club and came across a reference to Paul Protos. <polyscroll@hotmail.com> After contacting him to inquire about his services I shipped off one radio/tapedeck and two CD players (one as a trade-in credit). In a weeks time after receiving them he had repaired and returned them to me with two small bags of replaced parts. The audio system is now fully functional and sounds great. The price was very reasonable compared to wholesale prices I had quoted from a dealership contact I have. If you have the need he's your man.

Jim Rooney (aka By By Blackbird)

Just out of curiosity, what sort of problems was the JBL head unit giving u, and what parts did he send u back ?? u got any pics ?? and what kind of price range does he charge ????
Thanks..

SuperCoupe007 said:
Just out of curiosity, what sort of problems was the JBL head unit giving u, and what parts did he send u back ?? u got any pics ?? and what kind of price range does he charge ????
Thanks..

I had one Radio/tapedeck and three CD remote players. The 1st CD player was totally dead (it even prevented the radio/tapedeck from operating) and had physical damage to the face plate. The 2nd CD player would accept the CD, show the black play triangle and then the black stop triangle and spit out the CD. The third CD player was a newer Ford unit with a different style faceplate w/same wire harness hook-up. That one worked fine as a CD player (even though it didn’t look or fit quite right) but the radio/tapedeck now had a volume limitation problem (when playing as a radio) as long as the CD player was hooked-up. Un-plug the CD player and the radio/tapedeck was fine.

After contacting Paul and relaying my problems he gave me his diagnose, described what he could do, and prices. (Since I'm answering this from work, not home... I don't have the exact prices to relay) The price was less than $100 per unit and cheaper still if he worked on both. Plus he took one of the CD's for a $20 trade-in. I think all toll it was about $140? The parts he returned were about a dozen each of small electronic components. (Electronics is not my strong suite)

As the case would have it, he determined that the radio I supplied never had been tied to a CD player as originally installed (it was from a junk-yard) and did not display "CD" on the radio/tapedeck display when the CD was in operation. He rectified that and did whatever was necessary to get both units operating well. There is additional reference to Paul Protos in the members forum->Technical-> Audio.

Jim (AKA By By BlackBird)

Back