George or Duffy - I'm stumped (code 214)

J

Joisey Jim

I've recently been getting a lot of 'check engine' lights and, the car is idling rough at times. First was #335 (EGR transducer voltage out of range); so I took a chance and replaced the transducer/sensor with a spare one I had from buying a set of used '94 manifolds (for porting). Problem solved. However, I'm now wrestling with #214 (cylinder identification). I had this a year or so ago after replacing the plugs and, George pointed me in the right direction - I found a plug with a cracked insulator and replaced it. Now it's back. So last week-end I removed and checked all the plugs & wires - everything looks fine (even under a magnifying glass). What happens is, as soon as the car fully warms up the 'check light' comes on and, when I'm stopped at a light the idle fluctuates (only around 200 rpm), but the car shakes and rocks violently, yet never stalls. On the highway the car runs fine (check light remains on however). Could it be the cam sensor?, although from past experience (my '93) the tach needle would normally swing more dramatically.
Tx,Jim.

Last edited:
Jim, I have most often seen this in posts with replacing a bad cam sensor as the fix. Unfortunately (or fortunately, LOL) I do not have any direct experience with this code.

I was getting an occasional check engine light in my 94 a year or so ago and when I scanned for codes 214 would always come up. I replaced the cam sensor and have not had a check engine light since. :)

i did my plugs and wires about a month ago on my '94. a few days later, i started getting the 214 code. all the wires looked good, so i changed the cam censor. prob solved. oh, and my tach wasn't acting funny either.

Thanks a lot guys. I gonna change that Cam Sensor & cross my fingers. The only other thought I had, was maybe I put too much dielectric grease inside the plug boots and, it's causing an intermitent short, hence the hesitation.
Jim.

Thanks Guys - replacing the cam sensor did the trick.

Back