Can you get it off?

Berserk

Is there any way to get the passenger side valve cover off without taking off the supercharger? it almost seems that I should be able to just loosen the bolts and slide it out, at least if it wasn't for the oil filler. If i can pull that off the top, is there anything else in the way? I have a leak and want to pull it off, check to make sure its flat, and reseal it with RTV. Any other ideas?

I don't think so, the throttle body and intake plenum are in the way. Pulling the supercharger is pretty easy, especially if you don't have EGR.

David

Unfortunately, I've got big hands and an EGR. I've done it before, and I'm not sure I feel its worth it for an oil leak. Any idea how much clearance I'd have without taking it out? Enough to RTV seal the lower half? I'm just getting tired of smelling burning oil every time I drive the car because its leaking onto the exhaust manifolds. I think that the valve cover is true (flat) but am not certain about it, but if I could get the bolts and lift it up enough to RTV seal the lower edge, I hope that would get it. :confused:

It's possible

I did it on my 89. It's tight though.
Air intake and throttle body has to come off. I think the throtle linkage plate had to go too, just two bolts. The oil filler cap will pull off after the clamps are loosened, it can be a struggle to pull that bad boy off though.

Mine was leaking because the shop that repaired my blown hg's stripped the bottom left valve cover bolt out of the head. I found out the hard way that they simply but a large sheet metal screw in it's place (nice huh).

I cleaned it up put some rtv around that bottom left corner, reluctantly put another sheet metal screw in and it was good for another 80 K.

those valve cover botls strip out of the head real easy.

good luck
Bob

Have you tried just re-tightening the bolts?
Do not over tighten, just tighten them up using your bare hands until snug, (not a ratchet).
I just did mine. The car was smoking so bad it looked like it was on fire.
Now it doesn't leak at all. :)

i used to tighten mine a lot , then when i did my heads i threw the valve cover gaskets out and just used rtv silicone and let it dry all nite before starting the car , they have been good for over ,soon be 2 years now

Back