dis Question

Tom B

I have a 90 cougar xr7 and a 2000 mustang v6 and I noticed they both seem to use the same coil pack. My Q is where is the dis on the mustang and is it possable to use the mustang unit on the sc? looking to clean up the engine compartment and find some reliability.... maybe?

more questions

the upgraded dis on the 94-95 is mounted where? To upgrade the early cars would involve changing the eec?
If I have to use the early style can it be mounted somewhere less heated than the front of the engine?
I was thinking of on the inner fender or the firewall, or does it need more of a heat sink than sheetmetal?

If the 'Stang DIS does fit an SC it would be the 94-95 variety where they got the upgraded DIS system.[/QUOTE]

Here is a pic on a 95: (in the black circle)

95dis.jpg

It is shaped much differently than the early styles. At a minimum to use the new DIS you would need the EEC, new style damper with crank trigger, new style crank sensor, a whole lotta engine and ECC wiring harness and probably a few other misc pieces I have forgotten. Not a simple swap!

The old style does use the jackshaft bracket as a heatsink. You need some heatsink grease between the unit and the bracket. Some have tried to relocate the DIS with varying degrees of success.

Back