Verdict to oil oil and more OIL

Tony SC

Well it is the oil pan. Big hole in it. :( Changing the mounts and pan. cost $ 975.00 dollars. Is this a good price? With out having to do it my self?

They say that a few pullies are bad, how long can you drive on a bad pulley before it goes? what pulies should i get?

That's a bummer man. Are you gonna do it or have a shop do it? How did they say your pulleys are bad?

David

It's a lot of work. Is it worth it to you?

What pullies are they talking about there is about a dozen of them. Tensioner pullies are cheap.

Jeff

Not sure what pulley yet but i will find out soon. I want to have the shop do it, I dont have the tools or garage.

if its the crank pulley harmonic balancer they are around 365 bucks alone . the other work sounds a little high to me but at todays prices its prob not real bad

sounds high to me

65 for mounts and 50-75 for a good used oilpan, that leaves a lot of labor cost. sound like they are trying to charge you for the two jobs seperate.
when you do the oil pan u have to drop the front x member and the mounts get undone as you go. when you are doing the motor mounts as a single job
you spend alot of time with the front acsessories which you dont have to if your doing the pan. maybe someone can back me up or am I completly off base.

Changing the mounts and pan. cost $ 975.00 dollars. Is this a good price?

It's high but not out of line. It's about the same amount of work for headgaskets and that will run you about $1200 for $300 worth of parts and machine work. Like I said before is it worth it to you? You can always take it somewhere else.

Jeff

I know this is really lame but I have had to do it myself and it works forever. If the hole isnt real big, say more than 1/4" you should JB weld it if you dont want to replace it. Just drain the oil, clean the outside of the hole with gas or something mix your jb (dont use jb quick it sucks *** get the original) stick it in the hole and put a piece of duct tape over it to hold the jb in place til it sets. Then pull the tape off. To see if it made a good seal you can dump some diesel fuel into the oil fill and put a piece of clean cardboard under the repair, if you see drips you didnt do it right. Again I know this is kinda lame, but if it works and saves you 900 bones then its cool.

I should probably say that you should leave the cardboard under the repair for at least an hour, and DONT forget to drain the diesel real well before refilling the oil.

If they say your some of your pulleys are bad just beware of the broken harmonic balancer. If you still have the stock one in my personal opinion I'd replace it. My car is laid up in the shop because of mine breaking.

Back