Motor is bein yanked this week...

Brad94SC

so, after a top end rebuild over the winter I find that I now have exhaust gasses leaking into the cooling system (bubbles out of the overflow tank like crazy, and the car heats up really really fast). With 210,000 kms on the motor i figure its a good time for a complete rebuild as there was a very slight knock developing before the initial head gasket replacement a few short months ago...

I am hoping some of you have some pointers on what to do to the engine while its out of the car. the rebuild is going to be done by a very reputable shop (they had a hennessey viper venom in on my last visit!!!) and the manager seems to know the SC engine pretty well. Has anyone run across something that shouldnt be overlooked while the engine is out of the car? Any advice would be appreciated!!

heres what I have at the moment
94 5-speed SC
210,000 kms (approx 130,000 miles)
ported heads
ported blower
Iridium plugs
thats about it for engine mods

planning on roller rockers, and any other suggestions you may have!

thanks!

Sounds like the prior headgasket job was a no take. Since the motor will be out, I suggest decking the block for better gasket seal. Have the rotating assembly balanced, too. Use a new damper; Consider the BHJ steel damper.

Roller rockers at this point are a waste....WHat do you want to do with teh car is more liek it?..Then we can give you advice

well, im not looking to get exceptionally fast, my car is more for cruising than racing... id rather go a hundred miles down the hwy than a 1/4 mile down the track. Im looking for good mix of reliability and performance - i guess in other words, pretty much stock :D

im definatly looking to not spend money where i dont have to, such as roller rockers if you say wouldnt be worth it.. that would allow me to put money into the cosmetics of the car :)

and, another question, i have been using regular old conventional motor oil since i have had the car... now that im getting a rebuild would it be a good time to switch to synthetic, or synthetic blend?? or keep with the conventional? Im guessing this is more a personal choice, but if you guys have any input it would help a lot.... thanks!

Back