M90 Shaft spring

I wondered the same thing. I think its a buffering spring, but I'm really not sure. :confused:

Hock said:
I wondered the same thing. I think its a buffering spring, but I'm really not sure. :confused:
That is a preload spring. It makes sure that the snout flange stays flush against the coupler by "pushing" the snout shaft to the rear. This in turn makes sure that the coupler stays flush against the drive gear.

'bird

tbird88 said:
That is a preload spring. It makes sure that the snout flange stays flush against the coupler by "pushing" the snout shaft to the rear. This in turn makes sure that the coupler stays flush against the drive gear.

'bird

Does this mean that if the spring is not there that it is possible for the drive gear to disengage?

miketreid said:
Does this mean that if the spring is not there that it is possible for the drive gear to disengage?
Yes.

Let's use some cowboy logic...if it weren't for the spring then the rear bearing would be allowed to slide forward and take the shaft with it. The rear bearing fits pretty snug in its bore (in the rear of the snout) but not snug enuff to trust stayin' put. Because the rear bearing fits flush against a shoulder on the shaft it has sumthin' to push fortward against. So, if it slid forward in the bore it would take the shaft with it. In turn, the front bearing & front seal would also be pushed forward. Of course, they would then pop out of the snout.
Now, this is only gonna happen if the front bearing will also slide somewhat easily forward. Stranger things have happened such as front seals walkin' out of the snout so let's not trust that rear bearing to stay put on its own.

Worse case scenario is if the shaft flange (that engages the coupler) wiggles/slides off the rear of the shaft. It's splined so that shouldn't happen but hey, we're talkin' Super Coupes here. The rear bearing would then be allowed to slide to the rear and all kinda hate & discontent would then take place in the snout.

So, that lil ol' spring is kinda important ain't it?

'bird

thak you for the input, I guess I am going to have to disassemble the supercharger again and install the spring back in it. I did not realize I forgot it till I found it after I reinstalled the supercharger.

Also I am new to the whole supercharger thing. I put this supercharger with a fabricated bracket on a 1988 rx7 and until I had rebuilt the snout it was working fine. Now around 2500-2800 rpms it shuts the air down and colapses the 90 deg hose that is coming out of the supercharger, so my guess is that the only air I am getting is from the blow off valves. That would account for the power loss. I also noticed that until I let off the gass and it go back to Idle it will not go back to acting normal. It does boost until 2500 rpm though and then abrouptly stops boosting as if you let off the gas (probably cause it is being straingled for air)

miketreid said:
thak you for the input, I guess I am going to have to disassemble the supercharger again and install the spring back in it. I did not realize I forgot it till I found it after I reinstalled the supercharger.

Also I am new to the whole supercharger thing. I put this supercharger with a fabricated bracket on a 1988 rx7 and until I had rebuilt the snout it was working fine. Now around 2500-2800 rpms it shuts the air down and colapses the 90 deg hose that is coming out of the supercharger, so my guess is that the only air I am getting is from the blow off valves. That would account for the power loss. I also noticed that until I let off the gass and it go back to Idle it will not go back to acting normal. It does boost until 2500 rpm though and then abrouptly stops boosting as if you let off the gas (probably cause it is being straingled for air)
By "90 degree hose", which hose do you mean? Sure am interested in your project, know any other rx'rs doin' this with success? Any pics of your setup? Sounds like it's a blast to drive!

'bird

Back