Letting out vacuum after igniton off

Tony8470

Just a quick question. I always do it after I turn the car off. Just blip the accelerator pedal to let the vacuum gauge get to 0 quicker. I figure those 4-5 seconds of extra vacuum has got to put more wear on something. Anybody else do this?

Tony8470 said:
Just a quick question. I always do it after I turn the car off. Just blip the accelerator pedal to let the vacuum gauge get to 0 quicker. I figure those 4-5 seconds of extra vacuum has got to put more wear on something. Anybody else do this?

and leave extra gasoline in your cilynders wich leaks past the rings into your oil

turbospeed said:
and leave extra gasoline in your cilynders wich leaks past the rings into your oil

how do you figure? Assuming the ignition is off, all the injectors should be closed regardless of what he does with the gas pedal

There is no wear, unless you think this causes extra wear on a $3 PVC valve. I wouldn't worry about it. There are a lot of things on the SC that cause you to be paranoid, but in my opinion this doesn't even register.

Jerry

MIKE 38sc said:

When you shut off the engine the IC tubes and IC are under a vacuum. The SC can take a lot longer for the engine to equalize with the outside air than other cars. For some reason, Tony8470 thinks that this is hard on the enigne.

Tony8470, are you getting a loud noise when the car does this, like a goose honking. If so your Idle Air Control can be going bad, and the air is rushing through there instead of the fresh air vent of the PCV system.

Jerry

Actually I like to watch/count how long it takes to drop to zero..anything less than 5 seconds on my car means I've got a vacuum leak to find.

David

Well I'd like to think that any less wear is for the better, I know it's stupid. But I was just wondering if anyone else did this, I'm just a little obsessive compulsive you could say. It does make a noise when I press the pedal though, I think it's just the air passing across the throttle plate.

Tony8470 said:
Well I'd like to think that any less wear is for the better, I know it's stupid. But I was just wondering if anyone else did this, I'm just a little obsessive compulsive you could say. It does make a noise when I press the pedal though, I think it's just the air passing across the throttle plate.

What I meant was does it make a noise if you don't touch the gas pedal. You know that 99.9% of the SC owners do not do what you do. Don't worry about it either way. Turn the key off and forget about it, that's my advice

Jerry

Back