got ping on RH bank

lilredstang

OK, so last weekend I got frisky and decided to modify a set of 95 stang headers to fit my 1989 bird. A bit of time with a torch and a big pipe and they fit like a glove. Anyway while I was at it I replaced the POS bosch plugs with the factory motorcraft double platinums. I drop her from the jack stands and go for a spin. I start to notice that anything more than quater throttle with a load on the motor and 5PSI and she pings like crazy from the right hand bank. It is just from the RH side too. I did just put gas it it and of course thought to give her a dose of injector cleaner and octane booster too. Could this be a plug problem? I know its not an exhaust leak. Its a ping not a tick. Could an injector be toast?

I have the following mods: big K&N, 73mmC&L, 75mmBBK TB, ported intake elbow, Racer Walsh blower pulley kit..14-15PSI, 1995 mustang headers, with blocked EGR, Custom 2.25 down pipes, hi flow cats, Magnaflow, Dynomax cat back kit, auto meter temp and air/fuel guages, 255LPH fuel pump, B&M shif kit, B&M Torkmaster 2000 stall converter

Any advice will be great. thanks guys

How do you know it's the right side?

Are you still running the stock injectors?

What does your air/fuel ratio gauge say?

It might be that your EGR being disabled is causing problems. Does it do it at WOT?

Jeff

J57ltr said:
How do you know it's the right side?

Are you still running the stock injectors?

What does your air/fuel ratio gauge say?

It might be that your EGR being disabled is causing problems. Does it do it at WOT?

Jeff

Well I drive through a tunnel and and step on it. With the windows down, the sound is way louder comming in the passanger side, than the drivers side.

Yes they are the stock red top 30#s Thing is I have made no changes for over a month and this problem just started 5 days ago!? The headers were just swapped out for the same ones just better looking!

air/fuel reads normal, BUT it is tapped into the drivers side o2 sensor.

EGR has been unhooked for like 3 months and no problems, till 5 days ago!?

the codes I got were:

This evening I swapped the motorcraft AGSF34FM plugs back out for the old bosch ones, cleaned the air charge temp sensor and replaced the o2 sensor.
And it is STILL pinging!

If it was injectors why did it just start pinging now?

Bleed_Ford_Blue said:
id be interested to get the how to on the mod, were they stock headers?

Passanger side I just blocked off the EGR, used the 1995 header gaskets and bolted her on. Drivers side needs to have the lower flange trimmed and you need to litteraly dent in the main tube just abve the flange to clear the steering shaft. I didnt heat the first header when I dented it and it warped the whole darn thing and she leaked bad at the head. This time I used an old head and bolted the header to it , then heated it to dent it and she came out great. PS your stock down pips WILL NOT WORK with the stang headers. I still have the first header. you might be able to have it machined flush again...if you are interested. I can go into more detail if you need. If my camera is working I could even take a few pix

BT Motorsports said:
Check the plugs for the main harness by the shock tower on the passenger side. One or both is not making proper contact.

Paul

OK, I unpluged and cleaned the harnesses and there was no change. I figure I might have an injector going south. With my current setup I am probibly pushing my luck with the 30#s anyway. SOOO I just bought a set of ford racing 42# injectors, and I have a "RED" sampleing tube laying around for my C&L, so why not? Bad news is that it will be at least 2 weeks till they come in and the SC is down till then. In the mean time I will get a fuel pressure guage and adjustable regulator and have a little chat with the dyno guy!

Back