need trans cooler mounting help

vivisex666

i just bought a B&M trans cooler part # 70264 and will install it this weekend. i was thumbing throught the directions and found no notes about the orientation it should be in. vertical. . .horizontal. . . ??? does it matter?
any advice? thanks guys.
ian

vivisex666 said:
i just bought a B&M trans cooler part # 70264 and will install it this weekend. i was thumbing throught the directions and found no notes about the orientation it should be in. vertical. . .horizontal. . . ??? does it matter?
any advice? thanks guys.
ian

It doesn't matter so long as it gets some air flowing across it...I had the same cooler and mounted it to the radiator support channel (in front of the AC condensor) with a couple sheet metal screws and plumbed it into the return line (after the trans cooler in the radiator).

David

Here's how I mounted my B&M 28,000 GVW trans cooler.

trans%20cooler.jpg

I made a bracket out of aluminum angle for the top, which bolts to the top of the cooler and the top of the bumper support. Then I made the lower bracket out of steel sheet. The B&M 24,000 GVW cooler fits in this location even better, using a smaller lower bracket. The cooler gets plenty of air through the bumper opening.

-Rod

every pic i've ever seen always had it mounted horizontaly. with the inlet and outlet on the bottom. so it got me thinking that it was the proper way to do it. but if i mount it that way, it pushes into a piece of plastic on the left side that directs air into the ac condencer. i'll prob just cut it or move it over a bit rather then trying to do something completely different. thanks guys.

I mounted one like Racecougar.
cooler.jpg

Air goes through bumper vent into the cooler. Bumper acts like a heat sink for added benefit.

cooler2.jpg

Jerry

1. What length hose did you use from the trans cooler to the tranny?

2. What length hose did you use from the radiator to the trans cooler?

3. Which outlet on the radiator is the return, assuming it is hooked up
in series with cooler on radiator?

Thank you in advance.

hellakornhaus said:
Doesn't that cooler block the air flow to the radiator?

-Kornhaus

A little bit.

sail7seas said:
1. What length hose did you use from the trans cooler to the tranny?

I used two 6 foot lengths of 8AN line to run from the transmission to the cooler and back, and had some left over.

-Rod

update. . .

i ended up mounting it this afternoon. i did it just like shockwave. as far up as it would go, right in front of the opening in the bumper on the passanger side. it doesnt look as clean and pretty as his or racecougar's but its secure and safe. i had to move the horn out of the way. that was fun. lol
i'm going to connect it on saturday.
however, i'm going to flush out the fluid and put Trick Shift in.
i read that i can run the engine with the lines disconected and pump out like 90% of the fluid. i was then going to just fill it with the trick shift, forgoing the whole process of dropping the pan. i had the tranny rebuilt last year so i prob don't need to replace the filter or anything.
is this safe to do? if so does anyone know approximatly how much fluid i'll be needing to add? i bought 8 quarts already. is this enough? my local auto store doesn't carry trick shift, so i cant exactly go to town in the middle of the job if it's not enough.

-ian

Back