M5R2 question

hepcat

I was wondering if anybody knew if the slider hub that slides back and forth for gear change in the 5 speed M5R2 are the same as the ones in the M5R2 that is in the trucks? Theteeth are rounded.

I think XR7 Dave told me they were like 150 new but are the truck ones cheaper and easier to get if they are the same?

Raymond

hepcat said:
I was wondering if anybody knew if the slider hub that slides back and forth for gear change in the 5 speed M5R2 are the same as the ones in the M5R2 that is in the trucks? Theteeth are rounded.

I think XR7 Dave told me they were like 150 new but are the truck ones cheaper and easier to get if they are the same?

Raymond

Should be the same tranny.

I wouldn't assume they are. The transmissions are similar, but not 100% the same internals.

If no one here is able to give you a difinitive answer, I would contact one of the few shops that specialize in this transmission for the SC. They should be able to look it up.

One of them might work, but I know that some of the blocker rings are different, and the 1-2 slider is different than the 3-4 so if you get luck it will only be on the one gear, and I'm thinking it most likely will be on the 3-4 since the 1-2 gears are a significantly different ratio. I'd look for another trans and just keep that one for parts. 99% of the time those sliders are in perfect shape unless the tranny has been abused (or driven a long time with grinding gears which really = abuse).

FORGET F150 M5R2 Blockers

XR7 Dave said:
I know that some of the blocker rings are different.
I bought the F150 M5R2 Brass Blockers that were (still are?) mentioned in the SCCoA FAQ. Only one of those rings will work in our trannys, and Then NOT where the FAQ says it should go.

68COUGAR

Southern Gear in Smyrna, GA ,770-435-1461, carries all those parts. They know about our M5's and the differences with the F-150's.

Back