Bolt size for AOD pan ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I've got a new Lentech (w/cast pan) that won't stop leaking from the pan gasket. When I changed the gasket the other night I even added a thin coat of gasket sealer and tightened everything up and let it sit overnight to dry before adding fluid.

It's leaking worse now than it did. When removing the pan I noticed that the heads of the socket head style bolts Lentech used were to large large to clear the sides of the pan and start into the holes slightly crooked. The bolts didn't have any washers either and look a little too long. The sealing surfaces looked perfect and I tightened them as much as I dare, so now I'm thinking the bolts may be bottoming out before pulling the pan tight.

If someone knows the stock size and quanity of bolts required, I can estimate the correct length for the thicker Lentech pan.

David

David, the Ford parts catalogue shows you would need 14 of an M8 x 1.25 bolt, 14 mm in length.

cheers,
Ed N.

Thanks Ed. I talked to Lentech and told them what was going on and they think the bolts are too long. They said that a few months back (when I got my tranny) they received a batch of bolts that were about a 1/4" too long and those may have been used on mine.

He said that with the standard pan the bolts should have about 5/8" thread engaugement and with the 3/8" thick flange on the lentech pan I should be using a 1" long bolt. What I removed from the pan looked like 1-1/4" length, so I'll swap them out with shorter bolts tonight and see if it seals.

David

Last edited:
David, I used allen head bolts (not the button head type) on my Art Carr deep pan and had plenty of clearance. Thats probably the type of fastener that you want.

gldiii said:
David, I used allen head bolts (not the button head type) on my Art Carr deep pan and had plenty of clearance. Thats probably the type of fastener that you want.

George,

They are allen head bolts, but the diameter of the heads are oversized and from what I'm hearing from Lentech they are about a 1/4" too long.

David

Back