Sensor question

kenewagner

I have continued to be plagued with rough idle problems although it has gotten much better. I purchased an ICA from Ford and replaced it. My question is this, Does this part also function as the throttle position sensor. The manual shows a picture of the part and has an arrow pointing in the same area saying TPS. On E bay spinningwheels is selling this same part and calling it a TPS. Need some claifacation from you knowledgable mechanics out there. Engine idles nicely for a short time than will start the lopy idle and die. I have found no vacuumm leaks and it make no sense why it would run good and than start idling rough. The Ford dealer said it was a bad MFA and that has been replaced. I was going to replace the cam position sensor next. I am taking it to the track tomorrow to see what it will run. Can give anyone give me some input? :confused:

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 110
The TPS and IAC are two different sensors. The TPS is located more towards the center of the throttle body right on the throttle shaft. The IAC, also called the "throttle air bypass valve" is outermost of the two sensors. The TPS can cause your symtoms by not sensing the correct position of the throttle. John

It looks like removing the TPS is easy but the manual saids to scribe a line on the body to make sure it is reinstalled in the same position. Does installing a new one require adjustments. The manual refers adjustment to a diffrent manual. Is there an adjustment or does it just bolt on?

Just bolt it in place, nothing more. Hey, wherebouts in the big "O" are you? I'm originally from there, 5 miles south of Papillion. JJ

Ken, I can fill you in on all that tomorrow evening at the track...I'll bring my manual too for the "technical" information.

james5275 said:
Just bolt it in place, nothing more. Hey, wherebouts in the big "O" are you? I'm originally from there, 5 miles south of Papillion. JJ

I live in the area of 108th & Q street but my shop is in East Omaha. The TPS has 2 phillips screws in it and it looks like I'll have to take the ICA off I just put on to access the screws. I guess I will replace the TPS & hope sooner or later this idle problem goes away

Sam: I will hold off doing anything more for now. I dont have to worry about idleing at the track, just WOT.

Back