So many Problems, should I buy this 89 SC?

Smooth_Puddin

Ive been wanting to buy this '89 SC 5-Speed ever since I saw it, but after looking at it yesterday and hearing all the problems, im not so sure.

It has 142,000 miles on it, new clutch kit, brakes and the tires are great.

The problems are, the front main seal leaks like mad hell(2 quarts every hour drive) It ides around 2500 and it is not throwing a check engine light, the water pump is done with, he has a toggle switch under the hood to start the car, the headlights only turn on when you touch the wire to the battery, the interior is ate up, its been wrecked on the front end, but he did just replace the fender but the headlight is messed up and it smells really bad of burnt oil.

He only wants 700 bucks and I do have about 3k to my name, but I dont know If I need to buy something with this much work needing done to it.

Smooth_Puddin said:
Ive been wanting to buy this '89 SC 5-Speed ever since I saw it, but after looking at it yesterday and hearing all the problems, im not so sure.

It has 142,000 miles on it, new clutch kit, brakes and the tires are great.

The problems are, the front main seal leaks like mad hell(2 quarts every hour drive) It ides around 2500 and it is not throwing a check engine light, the water pump is done with, he has a toggle switch under the hood to start the car, the headlights only turn on when you touch the wire to the battery, the interior is ate up, its been wrecked on the front end, but he did just replace the fender but the headlight is messed up and it smells really bad of burnt oil.

He only wants 700 bucks and I do have about 3k to my name, but I dont know If I need to buy something with this much work needing done to it.

I would offer him 500 and than part it out. You wll probaby get at least 1500 out of the parts and than have a junk yard come and get the rest. I am still looking for parts and trying to get them off of E bay

kenewagner said:
I would offer him 500 and than part it out. You wll probaby get at least 1500 out of the parts and than have a junk yard come and get the rest. I am still looking for parts and trying to get them off of E bay

Go to the Knowledgable SC Mechanics section and contact one near you that would be working on it (if you're not doing it yourself). Run it by them and get potential cost numbers.

Parting out sounds good, but don't forget the time and energy involved in marketing the parts, getting them out of the car, shipping them, and getting payment.

Other side is to part a few and have enough to buy one in decent shape?

Yeah, I've got an '89 Auto that is in a lot better shape than that! I'd put your money towards something that is going to be a bit better out of the box. The '89 I bought needed some work, and hind site (as they say is 20/20) I should have saved my money for a little bit better car. Now I've got this '89 that I've put a lot of sweat and money into, and I'll never get it back out. And I've got to sell it since I got a '92 also...

Bottom line, be patient and find a SC that is in better shape. It may cost a little bit more to get, but you will be able to put your extra $$ into mods instead of fixing it to get it street worthy.

There is a beautiful 92 5spd for sale in NW PA for $5000 that has 45K miles on it and just a couple of minor mods including a Borla cat back system. This car is red with black leather in absolutely MINT shape. A garage queen that looks and smells like new.

No way in HECK I would buy an SC in the condition you described. You will end up broke and hating SC's. Trust me. Spend more and get more. An SC in that shape is an endless money pit.

No No No No

Did I say NO! You will be sorry I found my SC. After I looked around and found a nice car. I never had to make a big repair and I still love the car after 8 years. Its not a daily driver but I drive it alot and hope to have it to my son takes my keys away. Dad 125 in a 55 bad bad dad !+

There may come a time that someone who finds an SC in that condition will be overjoyed. I suggest you not rob them of the pleasure :)

I have to tell what I consider a funny story. I saw an 89 XR7 sitting that looked pretty sad so I stopped to take a closer look. Turns out it was for sale. It had 140K on it, interior was trashed, car had been abused, floors were completely rotten, everything under the car was frozen solid, rockers were non-existent, rear brakes were seized solid and not only non functional but grinding as well. Tires were mismatched, headlights were fogged and cracked, engine had many years of grime on it and OD was out on the tranny.

The guy wanted $700 and would take no less. I told him good luck. I was thinking it was worth $200 for parts. Seems he sold it on Ebay to some sucker in CA for $1500. I would hate to be anywhere within 10 miles when the poor suckers get there to pick it up. I felt really bad for them, whoever they were.

Keep shopping. There are some great buys floating around.

well my dumbass passed on a SILVER SC 5 speed a while back, it was beautifull, everything was complete, engine was running, 90,000 miles on it, the dude wanted 1000 bucks, but i talked him down to 700. i still have his number, i ma see if he still has it, hopefully he does, i regret not getting the car. damn im so stupid :mad:

I buy and sell alot of these. I rescue a lot of these that were going to be parted or junked but the cars I buy all must have a near perfect body, paint and interior. The wireing must be in good order unless you know what it is or you can go mad just tring to figure out whats wrong :eek: If I were you I would run. There are some real bargans and this one would be more then you barganed for. Look under www.autotrader.com Just remember {you can`t polish a turd :D

Last edited:
Yeah buy it

Gotta start somwhere.. Extra parts, you can always buy another SC ..extra parts = insurrance. I still have lots of extra parts I have not had to use you can bet if I didn't have the extras something would go wrong just my luck it is never enough....

maybe i will take out the dudes hands, get me in touch with him, i will take that SC, i love to bring stuff back to life...

yeah let me get that dudes info, i will buy it off of him.

$3.99....with the (yeah right) coupon!

First let me say that , after spending every waking moment on this site and learning the good, the bad and the ugly of these cars. They are definately worth taking the time on. Its a shame Ford didn't do the same. In my opinion (who cares what others think) This car is worth doing if the time and funds are there. I bought a 93 SC boogered up by an Idiot for 500. It needed a headgasket, entire sunroof assembly, battery, and 2 front seats other than that the car is in excellant shape.The tires are new, new clutch, and the body and paint are near perfect. This guy treated it like a cheap Ho! anyway, tell the guy I will gived him $3.99 (with the coupon) and I WILL PART IT TO EVERY ONE HERE FOR FREE. The sunroof is mine if it has one.

On a serious note: Jerk him down on the price.

If it wasn't for the Gurus on this site, I would have thrown in the towel and beat it with a hammer.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

He wont buge from 700 Bucks.

He claims the car was never hot, and it runs great. But when I checked the oil it didnt even register on the dip stick. I asked if he had any oil and he said it would be ok till i got home( I Live 17 Miles Away)

He told me that replacing the front main seal would be easy, and I wouldnt need a mechanic. I just finally said to hell with it and was on my way.

I believe I can surely find a great deal on one of these somewhere else, and become a ford fan.

I asked if he had any oil and he said it would be ok till i got home( I Live 17 Miles Away)

He told me that replacing the front main seal would be easy, and I wouldnt need a mechanic.

Sorry about your lousy experience with this bozo, but that is just plain funny. What a jerk! There is a good chance that the motor mounts are so bad that the motor is resting on the K member or PS line and has rubbed through on the oil pan meaning that for repair the K member has to be pulled. Not fun in any case.

The problems are, the front main seal leaks like mad hell(2 quarts every hour drive) It ides around 2500 and it is not throwing a check engine light, the water pump is done with
Water pump shot? So are the headgaskets and the IAC. What a chump. Keep looking...

darkstar_one said:
ill take it, how much, better be a 5 speed

If your talking to me to its an auto I am selling it to get a 5spd SC. Its a 1994 SC with around 119k on it, headgaskets were done at 80k. Let me know if you guys know of anyone that would want to do a trade or buy my SC. Thanks Dan

The guy sold it for $200

He called me about the low price,but sold it before I could return the call

Oh well, i didnt have a place to put it anyways

Back