How easy to 250/350 rear wheel?

JStudrawa

I'm an accountant, so numbers appeal to me. I'm shooting for 250 hp and 350 tq at the rear.

Thinking...

exhaust
air silencer / K&N
MAF / TB
Magnaport II / Plenum

Will this get me there or no?

Lots of threads about what mods to get, but didn't see anything outlining a progression of mods vs. power.

Thanks guys.

That should get you close. You are going to be fighting detonation though with a stock IC if you go past 13-14psi.

XR7 Dave said:
That should get you close. You are going to be fighting detonation though with a stock IC if you go past 13-14psi.

Thanks. Mike Puckett mentioned he'd show me how to combine 2 IC's into 1, that should fix me?

Also, do you have more pics of your wife's car? My goal is to go cosmetically stock except for clear corner lights (already done) and potentially new rims way later.

I'm very impressed with her Cat. Nice work!

I'm going to have to have a friendly disagreement with Mike here ;) I don't think those mods could get you to 250/350. Go to the list of "most powerful SC's" and look at the folks who are at that power level, click on the name to see their member page and list of mods. Most people at that level have head and/or valvetrain work, headers or ported manifolds, pulleys, etc. So you'd probably get close, but a few more mods would be needed to get to 250 I think, also depends on if you have an AOD or 5spd.

Rob Noth said:
I'm going to have to have a friendly disagreement with Mike here ;) I don't think those mods could get you to 250/350. Go to the list of "most powerful SC's" and look at the folks who are at that power level, click on the name to see their member page and list of mods. Most people at that level have head and/or valvetrain work, headers or ported manifolds, pulleys, etc. So you'd probably get close, but a few more mods would be needed to get to 250 I think, also depends on if you have an AOD or 5spd.

To be fair to Mike, he just brought up the IC mod. :)

It's a 5-speed. Do they lose less power thru the drivetrain?

I guess it would be easier to compare cars since all consumers are told is the crank power. That guy in his new car isn't going to understand that 350 rwtq is much better than his 350 crank tq unless I showed him, huh? ;)

tbirdsc357 said:
I dynoed 256 rwhp and 333 rwtq...........see my mods.

SN "Monsterport" Supercharger

How does that compare to a Magnaport II?

Looks like I've got a lot more ahead of me than I thought.

3.55's in a 5-speed? What's you 0-60mph looking like?

I'd also like to be less than 5.5 secs as well. Is that a pipe dream while keeping it at 3.08 gears max?

Thanks for the input guys.

JStudrawa said:
SN "Monsterport" Supercharger?

How does that compare to a Magnaport II?

3.55's in a 5-speed? What's you 0-60mph looking like?

lol.....that's a clone of the magnaport done by an SCCoO member.

My car is an Auto with 3:55 gears.

Randy Baker made 250rwhp with the MPII and plenum/intake on a stock IC with some exhaust mods. That was with an AOD. Randy ran 14.30's on stock tires.

Ryan Ruvolo made 260rwhp on his 5spd with the MPII setup and a good exhaust with a stock IC. Ryan has run 13.80's with a good set of tires.

Both cars were dyno tuned, both cars were internally stock.

I believe that a lot of people spend money where it does little or no good. Sorry if you happen to fit into one of those catagories. :/

250rwhp is pretty easy to hit. Getting beyond that is a struggle without getting into heads and cam.

I dont' pay a lot of attention to 0-60 times. I could probably blast off a 6.0 0-60 just by putting slicks on my 5spd. Not really indicitive of actual HP though. Traction is tough with these cars so it's not really all that relevant to compare 0-60 times IMO.

250rwhp in a 5spd will get you about 96-98mph in the 1/4 and how quick you get there depends on how good you can hook up. :)

Looking at Steve's website, he has exhaust, MAF, ported blower, OD pulley, MP inlet and tune.

Other mods that are cool but aren't making it faster: TB, UD pulleys, MAC intake, raised top, 42lb injectors, fuel pump, and other misc stuff.

Nitrous not included of course. :)

XR7 Dave said:
Looking at Steve's website, he has exhaust, MAF, ported blower, OD pulley, MP inlet and tune.

Other mods that are cool but aren't making it faster: TB, UD pulleys, MAC intake, raised top, 42lb injectors, fuel pump, and other misc stuff.

Thanks for all the info. I haven't done any upgrades yet (besides K&N/air silencer). I am still in the replacing all the broken crap phase. Did rear bushings, plugs, wires, NGK treatment, pulleys, and hopefully motor mounts very soon.

I want to do as little as possible and always go bang/buck.

For 0-60, a lot of my male ego is fed at stop lights. Not sure if I'll ever run her at the track.

JStudrawa said:
For 0-60, a lot of my male ego is fed at stop lights. Not sure if I'll ever run her at the track.
Understood, and the same applies to most of us. However, if you asked the fastest 30 or so SC'ers what their 0-60 time was, I'll bet only 1-2 would have any real idea. I will bet however, that all of them will tell you exactly what the 1/4 mile time is. That is what I was really getting at. :)

XR7 Dave said:

Yep Dave is correct. When I bought most of these items there was not a lot of concrete evidence as to what exactly works and what does not, only a maufacturers promise :rolleyes: ......that's why I dynoed before and after each mod.

My biggest waste of money was the raised top, bought from the Bill Hull days, the TB, and the underdrive pulleys (worthless!!). I think all together I gained 10 - 12 RWHP from all three :eek:

If you were to buy that stuff new you are looking at close to $700 US....for 10 RWHP....total waste. The new guys has the benifit of this knowledge.

Dave, I would not condider the 42lb injectors and fuel pump a waste of money because I knew I was going to run a Nitrous kit, or have some motor work done at some point and a fuel system upgrade would be needed. :)

So over/underdrive pulley's are no good? Doesn't the raised top move more air out of the SC and a good thing?

I think I'll do the mods in the order I listed, exhaust first. Got a lot of time before that anyway :)

Paint is next!!!

I had installed the TB and raised top together an gained like 8 rwhp, I did the underdrives later on and gained 6 rwhp. The choice is yours. :)

tbirdsc357 said:
My biggest waste of money was the raised top, bought from the Bill Hull days, the TB, and the underdrive pulleys (worthless!!). I think all together I gained 10 - 12 RWHP from all three :eek:
Steve, you probably know this too and just didn't mention it, dyno testing after each mod is useful in many ways, but you can't necessarily correlate that to individual parts. It would depend too much on the order they were installed, the other mods on the engine, etc. The raised top is a perfect example. On a stock engine, the raised top might not add much, but that's only because the stock heads and blower don't move enough air for it to really matter. It would cost a whole lot more than a few HP if somebody put a stock top back on a fully built up engine.

It's all about the package. You won't get the most out of any mod unless everything else in the engine is also up to the task.

I dont want to start any arguments, or try to make any one look bad, but I have very few performance mods and am relatively close to that 250/350 mark. I dynoed with a slipping SC belt and pulled 226 HP and 343 TQ at the wheels. My only mods are a modified Mustang 5.0 CAI/ KN Filter Combo, a Lightning MAF, Full exhaust( custom 2.5" downtubes, SCP cat back), and a 5% pulley, and a 255LPH pump. I also have 3.55s, but thats not effecting my power. Performance parts have totaled about $1500 give or take. Good Luck, hopefully this can try to convonce those who disbelieve that cheap power is obtainable w/ a little work. Unfortunately, track times havent happened due to lack of tires and dry weather!! G/L

Back