Moog vs TRW - Suspension parts

Mike8675309

Anyone with thoughts on Moog vs TRW for the front suspension pieces for our cars? www.rockauto.com has some good prices on Moog replacement upper and lower front control arm assemblies (i.e. new ball joints and new bushings).

When I check some other local places their prices are higher, and some even have TRW parts that are at least 50% higher.

I know TRW and Moog are essentially the same company. Does anyone have any experience with one or the other parts that they were not happy with?

IOW, is there a reason to pay more for TRW?

Otherwise it looks like I can get new upper and lower control arm assemblies for the front end for right around $200. Not a bad deal at all.

I needed uppers in a pinch and found TRW's at Advanced Auto but don't remember the price, but they have been fine for 3 years. I've heard MOOG is at least as good if not better.

If MOOG is cheaper and you have time to wait for shipping I say go for it. Someone may chime in with a horror story about either one but I see no reason to pay more for TRW vs MOOG.

It has been posted that MOOG is regreasable but have never seen it in person. My TRWs are NOT regreasable so that's something to think about.

Why grease fitting don't matter..

In my experience its always been the rubber which cracks and lets water, dirt, etc in to foul the ball joint.. Once that happens, doesn't matter how often you put grease in, it just falls out. :( But as long as the rubber seal stay whole, the grease stays put. :cool: So you never really need the fittings.

That's a great price at Rockauto, the complete lower control arm and ball joint with all the bushings is only $46.79 ea.

Here's the part numbers from their site:
Upper control arm Part # K8596 Left... $53.79 ea
Upper control arm Part # k8598 Right....53.79 ea

Lower control arm and ball joint part #K80053 Left
Lower control arm and ball joint part #K80055 Right
:)

RockAuto

I recently got uppers and lowers from rockauto and they all came in Moog boxes, but the lowers had TRW stamped in them. The lowers I took off also had TRW stamped in them, which I believe were the stockers. Everything I got seemed to be very good parts and well built. The uppers were greasable and had nice thick blue boots on th joints. The lowers were not greasable and had good boots but did not seem as thick as the blue boots. Either way you can't beat the price. Ford quoted me a price $137 each side for the lowers.

Thanks for the feedback. That's interesting then as it tells one how much mark up some of these parts places will really lay on you. McQuay-Norris bushings are $36.00 at parts of america's website. (McQuay-Norris is another part of TRW/Moog/Dana/Spicer...all the same parent)

Napa shows the whole upper control arm from TRW at over $90.00

Back